FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A new name for FIFE  (Read 21049 times)

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A new name for FIFE
« on: March 11, 2008, 08:11:34 am »

When FIFE was started over 2.5 years ago our aim was to create an improved Fallout-like RPG engine that has superior modding support and tools so it would be easier to create Fallout-like games with FIFE compared to using the original Fallout 2 engine and its map editor tool.

The focus has shifted over the time and the current mission statement reads:
FIFE is a cross platform game creation framework.

Considering that we've moved away from our Fallout roots since over a year and also taking into account that we don't support the most important Fallout file formats anymore (ACM sounds, AAF fonts, MAP maps are currently not supported anymore; DAT1 & DAT2 archive support might vanish soon as we plan to switch to physfs): how to do feel about a new name for the project?

There are basically three options:
1. A completely new name for the project.
2. Stick to the FIFE acronym but change its meaning.
3. Stick to the FIFE acronym and don't change the meaning.

I personally prefer the second option as FIFE is already quite well known and switching to a new name would mean that we should register a new domain as well. Though I would prefer to stick to the current domain I would be willing to pay for a new domain nevertheless if the team feels that a new name / domain would be the best way to go for the project.

If we decide to stick to the FIFE acronym but to change its meaning we should do some brainstorming what other meanings would suit the direction the project is currently taking better. Two proposals were brought up recently:
1. FIFE Is (a) Flexible Engine
2. Flexible Isometric Free Engine

Any feedback concerning this topic is appreciated. While the team will make the final decision in the end I would like to encourage the community to take part in the discussion as well :-) Additional proposals for a new meaning for the FIFE acronym are strongly encouraged as well.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 08:14:09 am by mvBarracuda »

chewie

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • zero-projekt.net
Re: A new name for FIFE
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 08:16:28 am »

I'd say stick to FIFE and change the meaning.

#2 - "Flexible Isometric Free Engine" sounds good to me - as it also contains the keyword "isometric" :)

AKIRA_SAN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 11:11:51 am »

2. Flexible Isometric Free Engine
that will do it :)

Lamoot

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 04:15:12 pm »

While it sounds tempting to change the name, along with the planned visual theme of the project, I feel we'd lose a lot of profile that has already been created with "FIFE".

I vote for the 2nd option, to change what the meaning behind FIFE.

Sleek

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 02:12:45 am »

Hi everyone :)

Flexible and Integrated Free Engine.

Flexible Impressive Free Engine ( corny heh )

We could just go with FIFE without any meaning. Just explain it in a faq the origin of FIFE, and our decision to stick with that name ;).

shevegen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 04:12:07 pm »

I dont have a real opinion on changing the name. I think it should not be dismissed early, but I also think it should not be made a priority.

I think the concepts of tech-demos are much more important (and better hehe)

But I am against this:

"Flexible Impressive Free Engine"

The thing is i dont like the word "impressive". Impressive is subjective to one's perception. One may find it is good, someone else may find it is bad. I do not think it should be part of the name. It reminds me of stuf like the "awesome window manager" and similar cra* ... :>

thepasswordis1000

• View Profile
Recursive Acronyms!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 10:24:12 pm »

How about Free Isometric FIFE Engine  ;)

November

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 06:42:45 am »

I like the idea, altough Barracuda proposed one in his first post :

I would prefer :

Flexible Isometric FIFE Engine

Sadr

• View Profile
    • Radakan
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 09:47:06 am »

To be perfectly honest about all of this, I can't help feel like you're shooting yourself in the leg when you're trying to adjust the future main promoter of your engine to a mere domain-name. Keep in mind, that the name you end up with now, is going to be the name that people will know you by, the name that will be spread around in forums, blogs and other websites, and stick to people's memories due to it repetetively popping up, and being easy to remember. What do you really associate with the name FIFE? Personally, I find it to be a rather weak acronym, seeing as it doesn't really become an actual word on its own. OGRE, the 3D engine is an excellent example of a good acronym. They cheated a little in order to fit 'Object-Oriented Graphics Rendering Engine' into 'OGRE', but in return, they have a very well known name, already associated with a lot of other things, probably most importantly the recently famed LotR series and games. As soon as someone tells you that Ogre is actually not just the name of a popular fantasy-creature, but also an excellent graphics engines, well then, you'll remember that everytime you hear the word from now on won't you? In addition to that, they got themselves a mighty good mascot as well! What does FIFE really give you?

Also, the word isometric keeps popping up. I didn't really know the exactly meaning of this word, so I looked it up, and the results weren't really as I expected, seeing as this is a 2D engine only, correct?

What is simply quite special about your engine, is that it is meant for 2D games, and does this exceedingly well compared to the other weak alternatives out there. You should play on this, making it clear that you're not here to fight the 3D giants, but to offer an alternative to the poorly developed 2D engines out there. Flexible has a positive ring to it, yet it can be found in the description of pretty much any application these days, making it almost a basic feature rather than a bonus.

I think you would be better off playing with words like '2D', 'Birdview', and 'top-down', maybe some predator birds, like Hawk, Eagle and Falkon. I'll start bainstorming some proper names now...

In case you're still wondering: I'm pro name&domain-change.

Sadr

• View Profile
    • Radakan
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 10:15:26 am »

Name Brainstorming

Raptor2D - Raptor - Bird of prey, also known as a raptor, a type of bird often characterized by a hooked beak, sharp talons, and keen eyesight.

HawkEngine
Hawk2D
HawkEye2D

BirdEye

I really like the idea of using some form of predator birds for a name, seeing as their characteristics nicely reflect the features of this engine: Fast, adaptable (flexible), bird-view, top of the food chain etc.

WIP
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:26:52 am by Sadr »

trapdoor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 11:22:10 am »

Sadr,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_projection

The engine most definitely has an Isometric view.

--
trapdoor

Joshdan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 12:15:57 am »

Also, FIFE is a word on it's own -- it's both a piccolo-like woodwind and a region of Scotland.  Even if it's not the snazziest name, it is recognizable, has already been advertised a lot, and only needs to get the attention of developers, who we can assume will actually take the time to learn more than our name.

qubodup

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • qubodup.net
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 02:12:46 am »

I like the idea, altough Barracuda proposed one in his first post :

I would prefer :

Flexible Isometric FIFE Engine

Hmm...

FIFE is Isometric, Flexible and Extendable (is it?)

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 12:30:11 pm »

That sounds like a good idea qubodup :-) we can hopefully bring this topic back on the agenda as soon as the license issues are cleared up.

Xamusel_Uzumaki

• Bearer of the Keyblades of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 08:27:08 pm »

Also, FIFE is a word on it's own -- it's both a piccolo-like woodwind and a region of Scotland.  Even if it's not the snazziest name, it is recognizable, has already been advertised a lot, and only needs to get the attention of developers, who we can assume will actually take the time to learn more than our name.

I agree with that.  Also, in my home (real world), there's a Fife, WA, in the area in between Seattle and Tacoma.
Pages: [1] 2