FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Fallout-dat-support: Is it still needed?  (Read 4316 times)

Wuntvor

• Developer
    • View Profile
Fallout-dat-support: Is it still needed?
« on: March 09, 2008, 06:02:38 pm »

I am currently working on integrating physfs into FIFE (branch /branches/active/physfs). Among other things, this should make it easy to add write support to our vfs code as well. However, there's one problem: The fallout dat-support.

Of course, it's possible to wrap physfs inside of the current vfs code (by just writing a sourceprovider for it), but it'd make this quite pointless as it'd mean that everything else still stays the same and we'd basically be wrapping a vfs inside of another vfs.
Otherwise we'd have to try and add support for the fallout file format to physfs, which doesn't sound like a trivial task either.

The question is, will anyone be using the dat-loader? Since FIFE won't really support anything else from Fallout (correct me if I'm wrong), it sounds kind of pointless to me anyway. If someone absolutely wants to use the Fallout graphics, he can still convert the files and just use these in FIFE.

Also:
Code: [Select]
<barra> yep, in case the need arises again later (e.g. somebody would like to create a game based on Fallout gfx) we could reevaluate it
<barra> and leave the work to this person :-)

So what do you all think?

November

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout-dat-support: Is it still needed?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:05:50 pm »

I also think that in case someone wants to use fallout graphics - or any other fallout file - he could extract them and use them as-is instead of using the whole .dat

Joshdan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 12:19:16 am »

I've done some work to implement DAT support for PhysFS.  I put it aside when the decision was made not to use PhysFS for FIFE, but I could complete it if this came to pass.  That's just DAT 1 and not DAT 2, but DAT 2 should be possible too.

I think PhysFS will be a definite improvement and simplify things nicely compared to having our own VFS.

shevegen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 11:26:11 am »

Hi,

I know this is already a bit old but still I hope that documentation is not forgotten. Just thought I need to mention it, better mention it once too often, than never :-)