FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: SEO for website  (Read 6254 times)

Joshdan

• Developer
    • View Profile
SEO for website
« on: February 24, 2008, 12:38:18 am »

It was discussed on the forums that it would help to have some SEO on the homepage so that people who are looking for us or just a 2d engine can find us.

Pages to optimize
www.fifengine.net

Keywords
FIFE
2d game engine
isometric
open source

(and combinations thereof)

Techniques
  • Change title, description, and keywords tags to include keywords
  • Replace the word fifengine with FIFE almost everywhere (fifengine is both more unique and less searched for)
  • Avoid coined/mashed words like FIFEwiki, etc.
  • Remove links to unrelated sites, especially things in the footers.  If links are required by terms of use,  use nofollow
  • Link back to the homepage from child sites;  ideally on every page, but certainly on the landing pages. Links should include keywords.
  • Link Exchange -- just listing this one to say I think it's not worth it.  Page Rank is basically a zero-sum game, so an exchange can't make both site's scores go up.

Please respond with any other ideas / opinions.

phoku

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • IZ dev blog
Re: SEO for website
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 02:22:06 am »

Just one added technique :-)

Using subdomains for the forums and the wiki also is suboptimal.
Lump everything together under one domain.

Also the SEO master should register webmaster tools at google,
which gives more information on keywords.

I have to say, that i am against using nofollow, and removing outside
links. That's unfair.

-phoku

Joshdan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 02:04:59 pm »

Using subdomains for the forums and the wiki also is suboptimal.

Suboptimal how?  At least wrt google, pages don't get credit just for being on a domain; they get it based on links, whether they are on the same or a different domain.

Actually, I would be in favor of collapsing domains because they cause us to overly dominate search results.  Google will only display 2-3 results from one domain,  but because we have like 4 different domains, we clog up the whole front page sometimes.  However, I think it's a moot point; many of the sites are provided by different hosts, so we can't just mash them together, and doing it halfway would be inconsistent.

I have to say, that i am against using nofollow, and removing outside
links. That's unfair.
Let me rephrase the goal then -- use external links relevant to their importance.  The W3C is not so central to FIFE that it deserves two links at the bottom of every single forum page.  Maybe these should go on the main forum index, or there could be some powered-by page that all of our pages link to.   However, the current arrangement bleeds out Page Rank like crazy, basically saying that the framework that built our pages is several times more important to us than any of the content that is on it.

I'm not saying we should avoid linking to other sites that we find interesting.  However, just because a link came in a framework doesn't mean leaving it is necessary or right.

Sadr

• View Profile
    • Radakan
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 04:52:43 pm »

Alternatively, you could change your CMSystem to MODx, a relatively new CMS, well known for it's SEO optimization.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 11:04:51 am »

The current plans for the website are:
- get rid of the postnuke-based solution in place
- move the wiki to fifengine.net (therefore making the wiki our main page)
- install a new "planet FIFE" website where all FIFE-related information is aggregated (via RSS feeds)

I'll open a thread with a detailed proposal for discussion soon.

Lamoot

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 03:48:18 pm »

Seeing how this also concerns the website redesign, the first post (with credits) was added to the wiki as well as the link to this thread.

http://wiki.fifengine.net/SandBox#New_FIFE_website