FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Any networking support in FIFE?  (Read 3076 times)

sofakng

• View Profile
Any networking support in FIFE?
« on: April 28, 2008, 02:53:03 pm »

I'm a Delphi software developer (my company primarily creats old-fashioned CGI executables, etc) and I'm very interested in creating a multiplayer/networked isometric type of game.

It looks like FIFE is almost exactly what I'm looking for but it doesn't appear to have any networking support.  Is this true?

If there isn't any networking support, how difficult would it be for a novice C++ (but intermediate/advanced Delphi/C# programmer) to integrate networking into FIFE?  This seems like a daunting task so I'm very much hoping that networking support has already been integrated :)

Could I perhaps integrate my own networking engine purely using Python or would I need to modify the C++ source?

Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 02:56:16 pm by sofakng »

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Any networking support in FIFE?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 01:56:03 am »

It looks like FIFE is almost exactly what I'm looking for but it doesn't appear to have any networking support.  Is this true?
Yep, that's true. Somebody started to play around with adding network support (the code still resides in branches/active/networking in SVN) but he has gone inactive so it's unlikely that he'll pick up the work again soon.

If there isn't any networking support, how difficult would it be for a novice C++ (but intermediate/advanced Delphi/C# programmer) to integrate networking into FIFE?  This seems like a daunting task so I'm very much hoping that networking support has already been integrated :)

Could I perhaps integrate my own networking engine purely using Python or would I need to modify the C++ source?
The experimental networking code in SVN is based on BSD sockets and written in C++. Some of our developers think that a python-based solution might work better for FIFE. Feel free to take a look into Twisted and similar libraries:
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/

Adding network support to FIFE won't be an easy task but if you would like to give it a try please go ahead. If you run into any issues you can always ask here at the forums or at our IRC channel:
http://wiki.fifengine.net/IRC

Thanks for any help!
You're welcome :-)