FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Help with making a port...  (Read 3977 times)

wakeupinflames

• View Profile
Help with making a port...
« on: April 17, 2008, 03:53:20 am »

Hi, I am currently in the process of starting to try and port the original Fallout game to the PSP via homebrew, and I am having a hard time finding the source code for the game. Everywhere I look I seem to be directed to this site. Anyway, I'm a pretty big noob at source code, and am wondering, what files would I need to get started? Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I wasn't really sure where I should post this. Thanks.

chewie

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • zero-projekt.net
Re: Help with making a port...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 04:31:13 am »

[..] port the original Fallout game [..] and I am having a hard time finding the source code for the game.

There is no source code available for Fallout 1 and 2.

Everywhere I look I seem to be directed to this site. Anyway, I'm a pretty big noob at source code, and am wondering, what files would I need to get started?

Reason for this could be that FIFE used to have some code which allowed to load maps from Fallout along with some file formats (*.frm, *.acm). FIFE won't help you by implementing anything beyond this stuff.

Anyway, legal issues can become a serious showstopper as Fallout 3 is in the pipeline. So it might be a better idea to put your time in a own game ;-)

wakeupinflames

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 04:44:00 am »

Oh I didnt realize that, Ithought that the original Fallouts source code was basically abandonware. Thanks for the info and sorry if I broke any rules by talking about it.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 06:12:59 am »

You didn't talk about a forbidden topic :-)

It's just that the Fallout sourcecode hasn't been released yet and there are a couple of hurdles that you'll need to tackle if you plan to bring FIFE to the PSP: copyright and intellectual property issues.

This wiki article covers some possible issues, feel free to give it a read:
http://wiki.fifengine.net/Frequently_answered_questions#Playing_Fallout_by_using_FIFE.3F