FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Inviting for a popular Wc3 mod to be made stand-alone with FIFE?  (Read 3972 times)

Sadr

• View Profile
    • Radakan
Inviting for a popular Wc3 mod to be made stand-alone with FIFE?
« on: February 11, 2008, 05:29:48 pm »

I'm an old Warcraft 3 modder, having shown my face in the community and getting a few contacts here and there. Having recently seen that a mod in Warcraft 3 (a so-called 'Tower Defence') has become so popular as a fun minigame that it has also been introduced as a browserplayed flash-game, I couldn't help thinking how this game could very well be made in FIFE as well.

Some Flash examples:
http://www.handdrawngames.com/DesktopTD/game.asp
http://www.casualcollective.com/games/Flash_Element_TD_2/

So here's the thing:
Element TD might very well be the most popular Wc3 mod in the TD genre, having had 2-3 popular flash games made for it already. What I was thinking, was that maybe I could get in touch with the developer of this TD and ask if maybe he could be willing to create a stand-alone version of his game, using FIFE. If not, then he might still be willing to assist in the making of such a game, being in charge of the main concept, balance and so on, so maybe we could find someone else willing to do this.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 06:08:02 pm by Sadr »

AKIRA_SAN

• View Profile
Re: Inviting for a popular Wc3 mod to be made stand-alone with FIFE?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 10:06:06 am »

That sound interesting.

November

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:06:26 am »

I believe a lot in FIFE potential to help people who are pissed off with the existing game market, to give them the possibility to bring to this game market something crafted by their own hands, grown by their own imagination, something original and personal.
So, a project that simply consist of making a copy of an existing overplayed game really raise no enthusiasm at all inside me.

Nevertheless, you're free to do whatever you want with FIFE :)

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 11:58:42 am »

I'm an old Warcraft 3 modder, having shown my face in the community and getting a few contacts here and there. Having recently seen that a mod in Warcraft 3 (a so-called 'Tower Defence') has become so popular as a fun minigame that it has also been introduced as a browserplayed flash-game, I couldn't help thinking how this game could very well be made in FIFE as well.

Some Flash examples:

So here's the thing:
Element TD might very well be the most popular Wc3 mod in the TD genre, having had 2-3 popular flash games made for it already. What I was thinking, was that maybe I could get in touch with the developer of this TD and ask if maybe he could be willing to create a stand-alone version of his game, using FIFE. If not, then he might still be willing to assist in the making of such a game, being in charge of the main concept, balance and so on, so maybe we could find someone else willing to do this.

Thoughts?
I need to admit that I'm a bit sceptic about it for a number of reasons; please let me elaborate. In comparision to Flash FIFE is a pretty new project and still lacks major adoption as it is work in progress. If somebody would like to create a game based on it but got all concept already perfectly fleshed out and would just like to implement them, he / she would be thwarted by the work in progress status of FIFE.

So until there is a stable API for FIFE in an imaginery 1.0 release I wouldn't propose to invest time into remaking software that is already written in FIFE. If you create a game from scratch and are still in the preproduction process, FIFE might be a great option. Especially for certain game genres (2d RPGs) where there don't seem to be a number of good solutions on the market yet.

So for now I propose to concentrate our efforts on the island_demo example game as I think that this is the best way to bring FIFE into the direction of a stable and solid 1.0 release as fast as possible.

Sadr

• View Profile
    • Radakan
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 06:42:01 pm »

Some Flash examples:

So here's the thing:

Thoughts?
I need to admit that I'm a bit sceptic about it for a number of reasons; please let me elaborate. In comparision to Flash FIFE is a pretty new project and still lacks major adoption as it is work in progress. If somebody would like to create a game based on it but got all concept already perfectly fleshed out and would just like to implement them, he / she would be thwarted by the work in progress status of FIFE.

So until there is a stable API for FIFE in an imaginery 1.0 release I wouldn't propose to invest time into remaking software that is already written in FIFE. If you create a game from scratch and are still in the preproduction process, FIFE might be a great option. Especially for certain game genres (2d RPGs) where there don't seem to be a number of good solutions on the market yet.

So for now I propose to concentrate our efforts on the island_demo example game as I think that this is the best way to bring FIFE into the direction of a stable and solid 1.0 release as fast as possible.
Hear ya loud'n'clear. I won't act on this for the time being then.