FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: FIFE 2008.0 milestone: planned release date  (Read 2413 times)

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
FIFE 2008.0 milestone: planned release date
« on: February 01, 2008, 04:54:22 pm »

Hello fellow FIFE developers :-)

The topic was already discussed on the IRC channel in the last days but we thought that we should bring it to the forums as well to get feedback from all developers.

The engine made huge steps forward since the 2007.2 release about 4 months ago. I compiled a little list with the most important changes for a recent SVN snapshot and it reads:
== Important changes since the 2007.2 release ==
* New audio module with support for some more advanced audio features.
* Optimized view code to improve the performance and resolve map instance z-order issues.
* Switched back to island_demo concept; this will be the techdemo that ships with future FIFE releases as well.
* Floating text renderer.
* Improved virtual file system code for editor tool.
* Vastly improved pychan extension.
* Quadtree adjustments.
* Basic mouse map instance picking.
* Editor tool (still work in progress).

As we did just decide to use the island_demo concept for our future example game that will ship with FIFE there is not much work done in this example game area yet. However we were able to come up with a basic plan for the island_demo over the last week. A bunch of people helped out but I do want to thank especially jasoka who pushed this undertaking forward and contributed to it in large extent. You can check out the island_demo docs here:
http://wiki.fifengine.net/index.php?title=Category:Techdemo

So considering that the engine would be ready for another stable release but for the new content we just finished the basic planning, we decided to ship the current SVN trunk as 2008.0 milestone some time at this weekend.

We think that the community will appreciate this release especially as jwt managed to create a nifty editor tool that eases the whole map creation process. While there are surely a whole bunch of improvements possible for the editor, the current status of it is already promising. Great work on the editor tool jwt!

So what's left to say? There is at least one important issues I would personally like to see resolved before we ship the release. The mapview flickering bug: http://mirror1.cvsdude.com/trac/fife/engine/ticket/284

But the problems might hide somewhere deep in pychan so I would not like to postphone the release for it. Therefore I propose to simply ship the release at Sunday even if we're not able to fix this bug until then. We can publish a 2008.0-r1 release later with this fix; this way we could even ship editor improvements that found their way into FIFE in the meanwhile with this new release.

All kind of feedback concerning the release proposal is appreciated! Would be great to have some people around at the IRC channel over the weekend for release packaging. I can personally take care of the win32 packages but we would at least need one linux packager who could put everything together for *nix systems.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 04:57:02 pm by mvBarracuda »

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile