FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Some questions concerning the source code.  (Read 2336 times)

Flock

• View Profile
Some questions concerning the source code.
« on: October 22, 2012, 06:27:04 pm »

Hi, I'm new and have been looking for WEEKS  :'( to find the perfect game engine to suite our needs.  Nothing  :'(,  until today!  :)
I stumbled apon the FIFE engine and just COMPLETELY  fell in love!  ;D  I got the source and followed the instructions, which by the way were great!  Heres the one I used-- http://wiki.fifengine.net/Building:Win32:SCons
Once I was all done, I tried the demo of "rio de hola."  It was great.

Heres my question.

How do I edit the Source code using Mingl?

Follow-Up Question.

How do I actually start the development of my game, as in what program would I use to make the game?

Sorry for the Noobish questions, I'm new.

Thank you for your time.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:41:59 pm by Flock »

trendy

• View Profile
Re: Some questions concerning the source code.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 04:28:23 am »

How did you found about FIFE?
You shoud use the irc!

I guess you mean http://code.google.com/p/mingl/. FIFE is not really for your first experience with game programming and on your own (self-learning). I recommend GameDev On the subject of integrating different GUI toolkits with the engine, I don't know if it's easier now. See tickets 723 & 726.

How do I actually start the development of my game, as in what program would I use to make the game?
With the exception of tools directory, there is nothing remotely similar to RPG maker or similar software (no GUI). A very short summary: still by programmers for other programmers level. Flexible Isometric Free Engine is only an engine and you use its API like it uses the OS API.

Also on the priority list is attracting new developers.  We have a lot of tasks to do, time to start actively recruiting.  I'd like to get the coding standards worked out, the API changes applied, source code documented, and the website and wiki up to speed before actively recruiting.  The project has been in a bit disarray for some time so it's time to tighten things up a bit.  A process that I'm not looking forward to but needs to be done regardless.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 07:40:24 am »

I'm pretty sure he seems MinGW, not Mingl.

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 02:10:44 pm »

Hi, I'm new and have been looking for WEEKS  :'( to find the perfect game engine to suite our needs.  Nothing  :'(,  until today!  :)
I stumbled apon the FIFE engine and just COMPLETELY  fell in love!  ;D  I got the source and followed the instructions, which by the way were great!  Heres the one I used-- http://wiki.fifengine.net/Building:Win32:SCons
Once I was all done, I tried the demo of "rio de hola."  It was great.

Heres my question.

Follow-Up Question.

Sorry for the Noobish questions, I'm new.

Thank you for your time.   ;)

You could use any text editor to edit the source code.   Do a quick search on google for free python editors and I'm sure you'll find something :D

A game using fife consists of a combination of python source code and some resources.  The source code will tell the engine (FIFE) what to do and what to display on the screen.  The resources consist of the map file, object files and images.  I'd suggest you try and play around with rio de hola for a while and see if you can figure a few things out.  Of course if you have any questions feel free to ask here or come visit us in IRC