FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Greetings to the community  (Read 1736 times)

yary

• View Profile
Greetings to the community
« on: June 10, 2012, 06:51:21 am »

Dear FIFE community,

my name is Yary and I am a twenty-nine years old computer engineer from Italy.
I was working for my own sake on a java hexagonal map engine when I found this project. I really would like to share my knowledge and lend an hand to improve it if possible.
I took a look in the section "open positions" and I found that some help with path finding would be appreciated, and that's the field I could maybe work in.
I attached the NetBeans Java project I was working recently, if you want to have an idea on how i program and so on.
You can download it from sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/javahexagonsmap/files/RealHexGen.tar.gz/download
Just to have a look on the project:
 - Download Java JDK and NetBeans
 - Open the project and run it
 - When the window shows up, click on "generate" button, if you want you can adjust the settings
 - - rows and columns define the size of the grid
 - - size decide the length of the edge of the hexagons
 - All the cells are initialized in random fancy colors
 - left click selects a cell (becomes white), if there is another cell selected, the program calculate a path (Dijkstra's algorithm) and show it in blue.
 - right click on a cell make it unreachable (becomes red): see how paths change if the edges are separated by walls!

Looking forward to your reply,

Yary

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings to the community
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 11:49:21 am »

Hi Yary,

First I would like to say welcome to the FIFE community!  We are definitely looking for more developers to join our team and would welcome any help you could offer (we have a lot of work to do).  Unfortunately the pather code is already being worked on by one of our FIFE team members.  You can check his code out in the cell_pathfinding branch.  I believe he used the A* algorithm.  The nice thing is FIFE is designed in such a way that users can write their own pather and choose from using the build in FIFE pather or their own.  If you wanted to write a pather that uses a different algorithm than A* you totally could and the clients/users would be free to choose which one to use.

If you are interested you should drop by our IRC channel sometime (#fife on freenode.net).   We could have a chat there about this.

yary

• View Profile
Re: Greetings to the community
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:27:48 am »

I am really interested, I will show up in the chat as soon as possible.

See you there!

Yary