FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Issues building FIFE on Snow Leopard.  (Read 2170 times)

olivettifever

• View Profile
Issues building FIFE on Snow Leopard.
« on: May 28, 2012, 03:08:12 pm »

Hey, I'm running into some issues building FIFE on Mac OSX 10.6.8. I've got all the prerequisites installed via MacPorts, and it's been giving me the same hang/error combination. Scons turned out to be running under Python 2.7, so I did a manual install (python_select wasn't helping). That didn't seem to help, though it did start building under Python 2.6. Which I'm guessing is a good thing.

At any rate, Here're a few lines of bash output that seemed suspect.

Code: [Select]
swig -o build/engine/release/swigwrappers/python/fife_wrap.cc -outdir "engine/python/fife" -Ibuild/engine/release/core -Iengine/core -python -c++ -w511 engine/swigwrappers/python/fife.i
engine/core/model/metamodel/modelcoords.i:31: Warning 404: Template 'PointType3D< int32_t >' was already wrapped,
engine/core/util/structures/utilstructures.i:89: Warning 404: previous wrap of 'FIFE::PointType3D< int32_t >'.
engine/core/view/camera.i:32: Warning 404: Template 'PointType3D< int32_t >' was already wrapped,
engine/core/util/structures/utilstructures.i:89: Warning 404: previous wrap of 'FIFE::PointType3D< int32_t >'.
engine/core/loaders/native/map/imaploader.h:70: Warning 473: Returning a pointer or reference in a director method is not recommended.
g++ -o build/engine/release/swigwrappers/python/py_fife_wrap.os -c -DUSE_COCOA -O2 -Wall -Wno-unused -fPIC -DTIXML_USE_STL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_THREAD_SAFE -DNDEBUG -DHAVE_OPENGL -DHAVE_ZIP -DLOG_ENABLED -I/opt/local/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11/include -I/opt/local/include/SDL -I/opt/local/include/guichan -I/opt/local/include/boost -I/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Headers -I/opt/local/include/vorbis -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/include/python2.6 -Iengine/core build/engine/release/swigwrappers/python/fife_wrap.cc
build/engine/release/swigwrappers/python/fife_wrap.cc: In function ‘void handleDirectorException()’:
build/engine/release/swigwrappers/python/fife_wrap.cc:6577: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
build/engine/release/swigwrappers/python/fife_wrap.cc:6578: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
build/engine/release/swigwrappers/python/fife_wrap.cc:6579: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’

The build hangs with those last three lines at this point, and then runs a little more, eventually ending with:

Code: [Select]
"_PyInt_AsLong", referenced from:
      SWIG_AsVal_long(_object*, long*) in py_fife_wrap.os
      SWIG_AsVal_unsigned_SS_long(_object*, unsigned long*)in py_fife_wrap.os
      SWIG_AsVal_double(_object*, double*)in py_fife_wrap.os
"_PyErr_Fetch", referenced from:
      SWIG_Python_AddErrorMsg(char const*)in py_fife_wrap.os
      handleDirectorException()      in py_fife_wrap.os
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
scons: *** [build/engine/release/_fife.so] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

I've cleaned/uninstalled/installed swig-python, along with the rest of the prerequisites, a couple times, and it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Sophomore in college, English/CS.

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Issues building FIFE on Snow Leopard.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:16:29 pm »

Hi olivettifever,

Unfortunately FIFE can be a pain to get compiling in OSX.   The best advice I can give you is to make sure that when you execute scons you are executing it with the version of python you intend on building/running FIFE with.  Sometimes you'll have scons installed in /opt/localbuild/bin and it will execute under some python that was installed with macports.  The FIFE build scripts will set the python include dirs to be the same python you executed scons with (using some internal python functions).  You need to check the <fife>/build/darwin-config.py file to ensure that the correct python libraries are being linked in the end.  Also, (I'm not 100% sure on this one) you may need to check your swig executable and ensure it's linked with the correct version of python as well.

Hope this helps,

prock