FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Free 360 Degree Movement, Slopes, Climbing, Driving  (Read 2634 times)

mikemhz

• View Profile
Free 360 Degree Movement, Slopes, Climbing, Driving
« on: April 09, 2012, 06:44:20 pm »

I'm interested in using a 2D / 2.5D game engine that will allow me to code in features for an action game (see topic title)... in 2D isometric style. Is this possible with FIFE?

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Free 360 Degree Movement, Slopes, Climbing, Driving
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 06:57:35 pm »

Hello and welcome to the FIFE forums.

Out of curiosity have you seen any other 2/2.5D engines that can handle this sort of free movement? For full freedom of movement you may need an engine that has full 3d support. For 2D I imagine a free look camera would be difficult and require quite a bit of assets.

However if you are just looking to have height in your terrain like some sloping hills and valleys this would be possible however not natively supported in FIFE, at least not to my knowledge.

Most other fixed aspect games that appear to be 2d these days are really powered by a 3d engine and use full 3d models and just a fixed camera angle. This type of engine may be more of what you are looking for.

If you could post back with a little more information about what your plans are we may be able to provide a a better response for how well FIFE matches your criteria.

Thanks again for considering FIFE!

mikemhz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 07:14:29 pm »

Well, no need for a free look camera. Basically I'm inspired by isometric pixel art, Theme Hospital style. I'd like to be able to view the world from 4 different fixed angles, e.g. SimCity, TheSims. But I'd also like to have the freedom of a GTA game (driving, fighting). Movement and level design without the restriction of a grid, yet still not true 3D.

To answer your question, I haven't looked very far, I'm just starting some research into a recent idea for my first proper game. Just typed "like Fallout".
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 07:26:53 pm by mikemhz »

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:05:08 am »

Its an interesting idea for sure and FIFE can certainly handle the camera with fixed rotation angles. I haven't seen many true 2d or 2.5D done without the use of tiles although it certainly could be. That being said FIFE does use the idea of tiles and layers for map layout.

I think FIFE can handle a good bit of what you are looking for, but may be lacking in a few areas like a streaming world (like GTA) and some of the action sequences you may be after.

if you are familiar with magicka or torchlight those are both done in 3d with an isometric (or slightly isometric) perspective to give an idea of the differences.

I think you got a cool idea and would like to see something like this out there so keep us informed of your progress whether you end up using FIFE or something else.