FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Forking Guichan  (Read 2307 times)

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
Forking Guichan
« on: March 26, 2012, 12:25:35 pm »

As you all know we need to do something badly about guichan.  We have a GSoC idea that should help us get it handled once and for all.  Check it out here: http://wiki.unknown-horizons.org/w/Ideas_2012/Guichan_and_Pychan_improvements.  Hopefully after the GSoC student is done with Guichan we will be able to compile FIFE without Guichan and perhaps use an alternate GUI library instead.  I wanted to get everyone's input in how exactly we should handle Guichan in the future.  One idea, as specified by the subject of this post, is to fork guichan into another project.  I think we could keep it as part of FIFE's codebase for now and rename it to allow us to easily work with it.  In the future (depending on how development goes) we could split it into it's own project and it's own repo.  That way everyone can benefit from any modifications we make to it.  This option allows everyone to continue to use Guichan if they wish!  I'd like to avoid dropping support with it as it's used extensively by a couple FIFE clients but if we provide an option to use another GUI library and everyone jump ship the future of Guichan is pretty obvious.

Does anyone have any other ideas?  If not this is the approach we will take.

Prock
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:19:44 pm by prock »

ChrisOelmueller

• View Profile
Re: Forking Guichan
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:59:37 pm »

Above link points to an idea for last year's GSoC.

The current idea is found here:
http://wiki.unknown-horizons.org/w/Ideas_2012/Guichan_and_Pychan_improvements

A fork of any kind should start with the current guichan HEAD (which is closer to 0.9 than 0.8.2 i think) and for that we'd probably want to get guichan to work with FIFE at all. Given the changes that seem to have happened after their last official release, i doubt this will be a painless update (but is still important).

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 05:20:27 pm »

Thanks for the pointer on my bad link...   I fixed it to point to the correct article now to avoid confusion.

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:51:24 pm »

I don't know the specifics of forking but would there be any license issues?

Also what license would we adopt and would this license change if we were to first put guichan into the fife code base and then later pull it out into its own project?

I think any discussion of guichan has to also involve pychan. Phoku always wanted to make pychan a completely independent lib of fife and I think it is a great idea. If we are truly removing the guichan dependency from fife (and at some point move it out of the fife code base completely) I think we should be moving pychan the same direction.

rivon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:22:45 am »

Guichan seems to be under BSD or MIT license (I can't distinguish them just by looking) so you can use it in any way you want - you just need to write somewhere that the original code is by the original authors. Oh, you need to ship the original license along with any modified code.