FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Performance question  (Read 1538 times)

sa_creator

Performance question
« on: March 07, 2012, 12:49:43 am »

hi,

I am doing kind of evaluation for the game engines. I had managed to build latest both FIFE and Unknown Horizons source code on ubuntu 11.10 (with latest dual core Intel CPU, large memory) and I experienced some performance issue. The game looks slow and mouse cursor is either too fast or too slow no matter what speed I set in its settings.

Those test result push me to think if there is any performance measurement data for FIFE for evaluation? Or any performance concern raised around here? Or, any performance related suggestions specifically for those who want to implement apps base on FIFE? Or, should I consider to use C++ rather than python if I want to port it to some mobile devices? Or, the performance issue is just because of the unstability the on-developing program Unknown Horizons.

Have anyone experience the same phenominon just like mine on ubuntu?

Sorry for so many "Or"s. :-)

Thanks.

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Performance question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 10:24:01 am »

Hello and welcome to the FIFE forums!

we may need a little more information about your computer setup before helping with any performance issues.

A couple of quick questions:
What graphics card do you have in your system?
Are you using OpenGL or SDL for in-game rendering when running UH?
What version of OpenGL does your graphics card support?
What graphics driver are you using on ubuntu?

As a reference point I have a 10 yr. old desktop with a very old graphics card that can run UH fairly well (a little choppy) but decent frame rates around 13-18 FPS. I will point some of the UH guys here to this post as well to see if they have any other suggestions. Also feel free to join at #fife on freenode.net to ask questions live.

As to your second question about mobile devices I do not see FIFE supporting any in the near future because we would need to evaluate all the libraries we use to make sure they would be compatible with any mobile platform we would be using. We would also have to evaluate how easy it would be to port some of the graphics code from opengl to opengl es.