FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: FIFE 1.0 Feature List - Discussions/Meeting  (Read 2618 times)

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
FIFE 1.0 Feature List - Discussions/Meeting
« on: February 27, 2012, 02:44:34 pm »

Hi all,

I'd like to try and get everyone (clients and FIFE devs) together at some point for a meeting of the minds to discuss the final feature list for FIFE 1.0.  This may include completely new features or features that are lacking or buggy.  I'd also like to try and get a list of workarounds that clients have put in place because of a FIFE bug or an incomplete FIFE feature.  One of the reasons why I want to do this is because I want to start attracting more developers to FIFE.  Before I do this I want to be sure to have a good set of prioritized tasks in Trac so people have a good idea of what work needs to be done and that things dont get forgotten along the way.  It also shows that we are well organized and have a good vision of where FIFE is headed.  Besides all that it's been a long time since we've had a meeting like this so it might be a good idea anyway.

As far as a date/time is concerned I'd like to push for a Sunday sometime around 12:00 GMT in a couple weeks.  This should give you enough time to get some ideas together.  Any thoughts on the date/time?

I realize that trying to organize a meeting where everyone can attend is pretty impossible so please gather your ideas and post them on the forum here if you cannot make it.

shevegen

• View Profile
Re: FIFE 1.0 Feature List - Discussions/Meeting
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 02:58:14 pm »

Sunday is good.

I don't check the FIFE forum a lot but I am on IRC.

When you guys have a date in mind, let me know
please, ideally on IRC.

In 95% likelihood I can make it too. (I'll idle in #fife
when the date comes nearer)

Q_x

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 04:23:37 am »

Hiho!
I'm concept artist and game designer from PARPG.
Spring is coming, it'll be hard for me to go to the meeting, so I think I'll post my ideas here:

As a player I'd be glad to see a night and day cycle implemented. Night may be darker/bluer/desaturated, sunset and sunrise - orange, and daytime - normal. I'm aware of the fact that FIFE already has lighting, but that's different.

As a game designer, I'd be glad to see a map that goes continuously, seamlessly for  kilometers, most of isometric RPGs had a feature like this.

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 04:28:44 pm »

I created a doodle poll to plan a date/time for this.  I plopped in the best times for myself.  Please fill in which times are good for you.  Note that you should select the appropriate timezone!!!

http://www.doodle.com/fvs4zh63qs69vyw3

chewie

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • zero-projekt.net
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 05:59:10 am »

@prock&doodle

done.

@topic/feature&workaround-list

So far I extracted these workarounds from the Zero framework:

Font management - ATM FIFE uses the gui lib for font handling, even for non-gui related fonts (e.g. fonts that are used via the GenericRenderer). I recommend we add a proper fontmanager (e.g. like the new image manager) and make fonts resources (like sounds, images etc) instead of gui elements. Personally, I´d say this has a high priority as the current solution is a hack.

Video support. ATM FIFE has no video support; therefore we scripted a Intro-Video (*click*) by using the renderer directly (think timers & a lot of work). It would be nice to just give FIFE a video file instead and place it either within (special) gui elements and/or have the ability to let FIFE play videos if no gui is present.

Sound management - already described by prock here: http://forums.fifengine.net/index.php?topic=490.msg2233;boardseen#new
Like font management, I´d say this is mandatory as a good sound support is important for games (just being able to play a sound is not enough). Also, current sound implementation has some issues, like bad performance (sound file access introduces lags, especially noticeable if animations are played). We wrote a simple soundmanager for Zero, mainly to handle all registered soundfiles AND for providing different sound channels (video, music, sound fx ...). The channels can be controlled via sliders in the options screen (*click*) to allow the player to e.g. mute ambient music and set special fx volume to desired values (etc.).

I´ll keep digging, I bet there are some more workarounds we use :D

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 09:49:03 am »

Meeting agenda has been posted here: http://wiki.fifengine.net/Meeting:2012/03.  If you have any other topics to add please post them here or if you have access you can modify the agenda directly.  

Please note that this is not a comprehensive list of topics.  This is just an outline for the meeting.

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 09:25:43 pm »

Thanks for everyone who filled out the form at doodle poll I created.  I'll be announcing the meeting date/time early next week once I have a chance to review what people have selected so if you haven't filled it out you still have a chance to do so!

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 09:52:44 am »

Thanks to everyone who filled out the doodle poll.   Unfortunately there isn't a time where everyone can make it so I had a choose a time where all projects were represented.  Official time for the FIFE 1.0 Feature List meeting will be: Sunday March 25th at 9:00 CST (14:00 GMT ).

EDIT:  Note the change in date/time.   We found a date that everyone can make it!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:03:05 am by prock »

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 11:46:10 am »

Thanks to all who attended and participated.  The agenda and minutes can be found here http://wiki.fifengine.net/Meeting:2012/03/25.  Enjoy!