FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: A question  (Read 2205 times)

Vibe

• View Profile
A question
« on: December 05, 2011, 08:44:36 am »

Hello,

just asking if FIFE is an appropriate engine for my game plan. I have prior experience in a few programming languages (including Python). I'm no master coder, but I can do just fine I guess.

What I want to create is an MMO Sandbox RPG with 2d Isometric view. I mostly found FIFE because it seems it supports rpg and isometric view. To be honest, haven't found any other (free) engines that would enable me that.

So the question is simple, would FIFE be appropriate to develop my type of game on?

Thanks in advance

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: A question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 08:57:32 am »

Hello and welcome to the FIFE community!

As for your questions I believe FIFE would provide a solid foundation for your type of game. It can certainly handle the 2d isometric RPG aspects. The MMO side including: networking, server/client, synchronization between clients, instancing, persistence, etc. will all have to be things you code yourself as FIFE does not provide direct support for these. Also a sandbox type of game requires a lot of user control and flexibility from your game so that will be something to keep in mind. FIFE itself is fairly modular so it should be able to handle a sandbox style. Performance could be an issue with really large levels with lots of data, but if you are smart about how you organize the data it should not be a problem.

Good luck and we hope you keep us informed of your progress.

Vibe

• View Profile
Re: A question
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 02:31:54 am »

Thanks for your fast answer. I'll try to keep you informed on how things go. :)