FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Automated server-based development tools for FIFE  (Read 7480 times)

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Automated server-based development tools for FIFE
« on: January 19, 2008, 06:09:07 pm »

We did some brainstorming about server-based development tools and how they could ease the development process. So let's collect some ideas what kind of tools might be useful for us. The first step is collecting the ideas and discussing them, there is no need to worry about the lacking server infrastructure to bring these ideas to life at the moment.

At the IRC channel the following proposal were brought up:
1. Automated doxygen documentation. At the moment I do manually update the docs from time to time and upload them to the developer ftp. It would be great IMO if we could find a way to automate this process and get up-to-date docs on a daily basis.

2. Automated epydoc documentation. The same as above but for our python code. Phoku began to document pychan and the generated docs look like a very useful addition.

3. IRC logging bot. A bot to log the #FIFE IRC channel talk and uploads the logs to the FTP so the developers don't need to keep their system running 24/7 just to avoid missing anything important.

4. Build / package bot. A bot that automatically checks out the most recent code from SVN, builds it (prolly only useful for win32, would be great for MacOSX as well but we don't even have a Mac maintainer who could build it from hand so we should prolly not worry about Mac support at the moment) and puts it into a handy package. The package gets uploaded to a server and the download link should get posted somewhere.

Any other ideas for useful server-based development tools? Comment, feedback, criticism appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 06:31:51 pm by mvBarracuda »

Wuntvor

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Automated server-based development tools for FIFE
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 06:40:45 pm »

I think 4 is both the most difficult and the least important of these. It'd be nice to have, but at least at this point the product isn't interesting to anyone besides the developers. However, what would be possible would be to have it be built on the server and then run the tests so one could always check at what point something broke. But still, that's a bit more advanced.

3 is very easy, I already have a basic logging bot written, but probably I'll take another look into premade solutions as they'll be a lot nicer formatting-wise.

1+2 isn't that hard to do, we'll just have to come up with a way for the server to be notified whenever a commit is made.

I do have a server that we could use for all of this, so that'd be taken care of as well (although you said we shouldn't worry about the server infrastructure for now :) ).

Can't really think of anything else we might need.

jasoka

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 09:11:56 am »

Not quite in similar category as other, but it could be a nice thing to have fife mash-up page somewhere. This could collect all rss-feeds available (wiki, forums, svn activity, blog updates, automatic build results, irc activity statistics...), so it would be quite easy to see how active we really are.

Perhaps yahoo pipes or something similar could be used for that.

MuteX

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 11:11:20 am »

1 and 2 are done. Currently the documentations are at http://fifedocs.boxbox.org. Barra, could you link docs.fifengine.net to that URL? If it's possible to change the DNS, then it'd the best solution to do so for docs.fifengine.net. Else a redirect would do just fine.

For 3: I can setup a logging bot, too. I think it's okay to provide the docs via HTTP instead of FTP. If not, drop me a line. :)

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »

Great work Mutex :-) that was really appreciated.

We've just discussed about the IRC logging idea and decided to protect the logs with an .htaccess password. This way mighty google stays away from the log and just the people who might have use for the logs can actually access them.

I'm just setting up a private developer section at the forums and post the developer ftp and the IRC logs passwords there later.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 03:51:54 pm by mvBarracuda »

plcstpierre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 03:52:00 pm »

I have made some research. We can set up a buildbot with the help of MuteX. Do you think it's worth it? We are very curious about the result.

http://buildbot.net/trac/wiki/ScreenShots

What are your tought about the Nightly build and Official Release?
plcstpierre
Apprentice Project Manager
plcstpierre[at]gmail[dot]com

MuteX

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 04:48:06 pm »

Generally it's really a cool feature. The question is if it's really needed at this state of development. Also my server resources are maybe not the best to do this (already talked to plcstpierre rgrd. that) -- a full FIFE build takes around 10-15 minutes on that machine, because it's just a Pentium 733 MHz. But because the huge files don't change very often, a build could be done around 1-5 minutes. The reason why I'm stating this is because during compile time, CPU load is at 100% and the whole server is going to lag, which is not good for the other services that run on my server.

On the other hand, nightly builds of trunk could be interesting for the people who're interested in FIFE and want to check out the current status of development. My opinion is to keep it at this moment of time like it is, namely giving out stable(!) releases without nightly/weekly builds. But I won't cry if you guys would prefer the other method. ;)

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 02:09:10 pm »

Sleek just brought up another proposal for a server-based tool that might be useful. Sleek's working place got quite a strict firewall and so he got problems connecting to the FIFE channel while he's at work. CGI::IRC, a web-based IRC client that is installed on a server, might be a good option to work around these firewall problems. Does anyone happen to know how much serverload it would produce?

You can find more information about CGI::IRC at their website:
http://cgiirc.org/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 03:46:46 pm by mvBarracuda »

Sadr

• View Profile
    • Radakan
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »

There are two web-based irc-clients to my knowledge:

• http://mibbit.com/ - JavaScript based, which makes it perfect for all modern browsers with a high chance of comatibility. I have experienced it not working on Unix systems though.

• http://java.freenode.net/index.php - A Java-based application, implemented on the Freenode site for the specific purpose of joining freenode channels. Quite cluttered and buggy to my experience, but has very advanced options.

Ehm, I don't know if this was what you really intended to know, but this might solve Sleek's problem with not being able to connect to #FIFE :)

On the other hand, there's always Jabber, the best type of live collaboration IMHO, though it's not that commonly used yet. You're supposed to be able to use Jabber for chatting in games as well actually. Maybe FIFE could provide some support for this for multiplayer online games?

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 11:23:16 am »

There are two web-based irc-clients to my knowledge:

http://mibbit.com/ - JavaScript based, which makes it perfect for all modern browsers with a high chance of comatibility. I have experienced it not working on Unix systems though.
Just tested it and it works pretty well for me :-) How about giving this solution a shot sleek?

On the other hand, there's always Jabber, the best type of live collaboration IMHO, though it's not that commonly used yet. You're supposed to be able to use Jabber for chatting in games as well actually. Maybe FIFE could provide some support for this for multiplayer online games?
Didn't really get your last remark about online game support :-/ Could you please elaborate Sadr?

Sadr

• View Profile
    • Radakan
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 02:40:08 pm »

Didn't really get your last remark about online game support :-/ Could you please elaborate Sadr?
Well, I can't say for sure if I really 'got it' the first time it was explained to me either ^^ But here's how I understood it: Jabber let's you create your very own chat servers, although there are plenty of very good and maintained free ones out there as well, not to mention the possibility of 3rd party arrangements. So say you're making an MMO. You'd like to have a nice chat-system included there. Jabber has this all ready for you, all you have to do is create a "jabberclient" for your game so to speak, which lets people talk while in the game, via whatever server(s) you have set up for them.