FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Before starting  (Read 4220 times)

the_ninja1001

• View Profile
Before starting
« on: August 26, 2011, 07:47:36 pm »

So i have been looking for a developer software for my game idea for a long time now i've used unity unreal engine gamemaker 8 and rpg maker none have been able to do what i want without an extensive amount of coding 'which I'm not very good at i only know the basics of c++ plaining on reading up on visual basic soon hopefully that helps"

anyway the basic game idea is to set up a turn based strategy game like advanced wars or final fantasy tactics that works on a square grid field like 10x by 10x

and also have a tcg (trading card game element) or deck of cards that can be used to manipulate the units on the filed or the game in general

(ex break the game up into phases draw phase (draw a card ) main phase 1 (play cards) move phase (move units) attack phase (declare/conduct combat) main phase 2 (play cards) end phase (end turn)

so basically its two types of games working together i'm sure other people have done this before but nothing really comes to mind (think axis and allies miniatures with a card game aspect (like magic) affecting the units on the field )

-any ideas and having not downloaded your software yet do you guys feel the software will do what I'm trying to do or should i cont my search for the perfect engine?
any advice will help thanks

- the_ninja1001

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Before starting
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 02:38:43 pm »

Unfortunately this is difficult to answer. All game engines/frameworks depend on the end user having programming knowledge. This is really what makes them flexible.

Probably rpg maker and gamemaker as the 2 that will require the least amount of programming as these are really game makers and not game engines.

I think what you want to do is certainly possible in any of the game engines be it unity, udk, or fife but it is going to require programming. Fife allows you to program in python which is a fairly widely used language and somewhat simpler for beginners a lot of times so that could be an advantage. If you are worried about the programming tasks (and there will be a good bit) maybe think about recruiting a couple of other programmers to help out with the project.

Good luck and welcome to the FIFE forums.

the_ninja1001

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 02:59:15 pm »

thanks for the response and i meant to pharse it diffrently its not that i dont want to learn to program its just i have very little experience with it (the most complicated thing i've done so far is a similpe calculator)
but correct me if im wrong fife is not compatibile with 64 bit window?
i found a python 64-bit version but all the fife programs appear to only be 32 bit

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 03:06:28 pm »

FIFE works fine on a 64-bit windows install. You just have to make sure to download a 32-bit version of python which runs just fine on 64-bit windows OS. Then launch your python program of choice using the 32-bit python install.

FIFE itself should compile and install just fine on a 64-bit windows install.

the_ninja1001

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 03:11:13 pm »

ok i gotcha so i need the 32 bit version of python and not the 64 thanks i'll correct that and start going though the first tutorial again