FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Hello FIFE  (Read 1511 times)

johnstein

• View Profile
Hello FIFE
« on: June 29, 2011, 03:10:02 pm »

Hi. I've been bothering everyone in IRC so much the past few days (thanks IRC!) I figured I'd better introduce myself here.

I've dabbled in game creation on and off over the past 10 years... though I don't have much to show except for a few demos. 
I've primarily used  RPG Toolkit (NOT rpgmaker). It's an open source editor/engine that is really nice for people just starting out who want an introduction into game-design but also want a bit of control. The engine is written in VC6 and the editor in VB6. It's a nice system for when it was created, but it hasn't really stayed up to date with the times and development is slow (read: it needs a substantial rewrite, but there's not many, if any, willing to put the time into it).  I think I may have outgrown it.

What I'm looking for is a program/system/engine that handles the framework for me but doesn't require me to build everything from scratch.  I don't mind doing some (maybe even a lot of) programming or building tools to aid in object/asset creation/management, but I don't want to worry about the details of loading maps, handling the internal state of the game, dealing with sprites, manually setting up routines to play animations, integrating the sound, etc. I'm mainly looking for something stable that I can create simple RPGs with, but complex enough to not box me in too much.

So far it appears that:
  • The FIFE map editor should allow me to build maps and insert interactive objects on the maps (think NPCs or Doors to open, etc).   
  • There's a decent gui (guichan) available that should serve my message window, menus, cursor-maps, etc needs. 
  • There appears to be decent sound support, but I haven't looked much into that (I used to run into issues where having more than one sound file playing at a time would not be possible)
  • There's built in support for animations and animations should all play simultaneously, even if the player is moving around the map or the game is executing some subroutine/cutscene.
My immediate plan is to recreate the Demo I made last year for a short RPG I want to make.  I've got all the assets pretty much already made so it's just a matter of getting it all working together in a FIFE format.  I figure if I can do that, I might be able to stick around for a while and finally finish this thing :)