FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Gui(Chan) Refactoring  (Read 1933 times)

Technomage

• View Profile
Gui(Chan) Refactoring
« on: June 19, 2011, 02:30:24 am »

Greetings,

Apparently Prock and I have been working on exactly the same thing the past few days, namely the refactoring of FIFE's gui module and decoupling GUIChan from it. In fact, I have some working changes that are very similar to the r3682 svn chageset that Prock authored. Specifically, we both factored out the GUIChan code from GuiManager and made it an abstract base class (actually, an interface in Prock's case). My changes are available in the fife-parpg repo (http://hg.assembla.com/fife-parpg) if you're interested.

I've also been experimenting with different ways of factoring out the GuiFont references in the Engine using a new FontManager class, though these changes are not in fife-parpg yet.

Seeing as how we're working in the same area I thought that we might collaborate if you're interested. At the very least PARPG is probably a good test ground for your changes since we're looking to migrate to a new GUI library. Unfortunately I'm exactly 12 hours behind German time (UTC-10) so IRC communication may be an issue. I'm thinking that the forums here are probably the best means of communicating.

Anyway, let me know what you think.
M. George Hansen

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Gui(Chan) Refactoring
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 09:12:53 am »

Yep this has been something prock and I have been talking about for a while now. Its good to see someone else working on it and producing similar results, probably means we are both on the right track.

We would definitely like to collaborate on the changes, especially when it comes to designing what the interface will look like to games being written with fife.

If you see us on IRC feel free to bring it up so we can chat about it. We are on a good bit of the time so you may catch us there even with the time changes.

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Gui(Chan) Refactoring
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 03:17:55 pm »

I have completed de-coupling FIFE from Guichan in our 0.3.3dev branch.  I'm pretty happy with the results.  GuiFonts are completely handled by the guimanager now.   I'm still working on how exactly to handle all the other fonts.  I'll post here when I come up with a good plan for them.

Cheers,

prock