FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Hello To All FIFE-ers!  (Read 1953 times)

Benchwarmers

• View Profile
Hello To All FIFE-ers!
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:24:50 am »

Hello, there. As you all have already guessed, I am quite new here in the forum section. I have downloaded and installed the latest FIFE Engine version 0.3.2r2 which the download page says that you MUST have Python version 2.7 but I have Python 3.1.1 prior to that so I used it instead. I'm not too sure if it makes any difference. If anyone knew, please do tell me, yeah?  ;)

Got FIFE Engine installed in a few minutes but have no idea whatsoever of how to use it. All the .py extension files I tried to click on opened and close as fast in a flash. Searched around the folders and saw nothing much but scripts and python files. The only way I could explore deeper is to run run.py or any other .py extension files in IDLE mode. Is there some sort of application or something that I missed out to start building a game from scratch? Maybe a certain software I need to download or something?

Any help would much be appreciated  ;D

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Hello To All FIFE-ers!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:47:27 am »

Hi Benchwarmers,

Unfortunately for the pre-compiled version of FIFE you MUST use python version 2.7 because that is what FIFE was compiled for.  You'll have to re-install FIFE once you have the correct version of Python installed.  You should then be able to use the start->programs->fife->demos shortcuts to launch one of the demos and play around a little.   

FIFE isn't really a "game maker" type engine.  It's more of a bare framework used to make games.  We don't have any tutorials at the moment so your best bet is to start with the rio_de_hola and shooter demos to get a better understanding of FIFE.  You can also ask questions in the forum or on IRC and we will help you out!

Hope this helps...

prock

rivon

• View Profile
Re: Hello To All FIFE-ers!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 04:50:37 am »

You know, you need to know how to program to make a game in FIFE.