FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Hello There!  (Read 4002 times)

Mallow

• View Profile
Hello There!
« on: August 06, 2009, 06:57:31 pm »

Hello Hello,

I go by the alias "Mallow". I am a computer systems student who really loved the fallout games. Except Fallout 3, I think that game would smell like vomit, if it had a smell that is. Anyways, I have been checking out the fife engine since it was announced a couple of years ago. I heard about it from NMA (No Mutants Allowed) The guys there for the most part are like me, they loved the original games and are into the whole isometric gaming thing.

This last year I have picked up some PHP, C++, and Visual Basic. Is the fife engine coded primarily with C++? I am wondering if I can contribute to this project. I think it would be a cool thing to add on to my resume as well  8)

I was curious, what level of coder are you guys looking for? In C++ I can do loops,output statements, if statements, system commands like "pause" or "cls" for example. I guess you can say I am somewhat of a beginner but I can expand my knowledge on the language. Anyways, Peace!

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello There!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 03:40:48 am »

Hi mallow.

There are two possible types of answers. I'll go for both and I hope you don't mind my openess. The engine is both written in C++ and Python, though the vast majority of the code (the so called engine core) is C++. Now C++ is a very complex language with a lot of pitfalls that takes years (as in 3-6 years, not as in 1-2 years) to get comfortable with and even longer to "master" the language.

Creating game engines is usually one of the hardest tasks you can try to tackle. If you're still a beginner you'll have a hard time to contribute to the engine core at this point. However as the engine comes with extensions written in Python, it should be worthwhile to take a look into that code and learn Python along the way; having another modern language under your belt that is quite commonly used is a huge plus to every programmer.

This said: it all comes down to you checking out the code from the Subversion repository and playing around with it. The wiki provides plenty of pointers how to get started:
http://wiki.fifengine.net/Getting_involved

Mallow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 04:39:09 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply  :)

Also, thanks for your openess and sincerity. Is FIFE completely open source? Could I download all of the source files, analyze it, and learn from it? If so, is it able to be compiled at this point? If so, I think I could learn a great deal from this and I would be quite proud of myself if I could contribute to such a wonderful project. I loved Isometric games and I think it's a little sad that they are practically non exisitent these days, so being able to create a new game (even if it's only for portfolio purposes) would be very cool.

Peace

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 04:42:18 pm »

Yep, FIFE is completely open source. You'll need an SVN client to check out the latest files from the project's repository. More information about the topic can be found here:
http://wiki.fifengine.net/Subversion_repository

Mallow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 04:48:52 pm »

This is all so cool. Thank you for the information, and I'd like to say that the link you gave me "getting involved" was very informative and specific, I like that. I was intrigued by the coding standards page where you actually(or whoever wrote it) specified exactly how they wanted the fife code written. Out of curiosity, do the people who work on fife have actual experience working for video game corporations? I ask because this seems like a professional group and I think it would be a great project to learn from and make contributions to.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 01:30:20 pm »

AFAIR some of the formerly involved developers worked in the industry at some point. I can remember at least one dev who worked on the Age of Conan MMORPG.

Concerning contributions: don't get your hopes too high. For two reasons:
1. You won't be able to contribute to the engine core with your C++ background. And it will take quite some time to wrap your head around Python as well. Programming is not about knowing the syntax of a language, at least that's not the main hurdle to tackle. Complex software projects are far more challenging in terms of code design; it will be quite tricky to contribute if you have no prior experience, e.g. working with design patterns.
2. The engine is not as actively developed as before. At least nowhere near the level it was from 2005-2008. I don't have the time to elaborate on the topic but here's a pointer to get started:
http://fife.trac.cvsdude.com/engine/wiki/2008/09/10/18.40

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 09:59:28 am »

As for the current maintainers (myself and prock) we work in the software/engineering industry but not directly in gaming. We have several years of experience in software and are learning game specific tasks in our free time.

I would suggest checking out the code in the FIFE repository, build it, and getting the demos running. Once you have that complete start looking in the engine core code to familiarize yourself with it. Also if you haven't already grab a couple of c++ books (meyers effective series, etc.) and start playing around. I would suggest also learning the STL as soon as possible and understanding what/how it works.

Glad to see you are interested in FIFE and we hope to see you around the IRC chan.