FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Trac anti spam addon: lessons learned from PARPG  (Read 3460 times)

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Trac anti spam addon: lessons learned from PARPG
« on: December 01, 2010, 05:55:41 am »

We at PARPG have been recently fighting spam at Trac but finally seem to have found a solution that actually blocks the spam but let's valid tickets through.

We installed an anti spam plugin for Trac at codesion.com, added keys for the typepad anti spam API and set the rejection handler to CAPTCHA, using google's reCAPTCHA API. So far, all valid tickets went through just fine while all spam got blocked. What's great about it is that even valid tickets that look suspicious, for whatever reason there may be, can get through. The submitter just has to solve a captcha in this case.

I know that you're currently not facing any spam issues at your Trac, but AFAICT the current system also blocks a bunch of valid tickets, which can be quite frustrating. So if you like, I can set up things for you, get you a typepad key and set up recaptcha.

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Trac anti spam addon: lessons learned from PARPG
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 08:14:35 am »

I am in favor of this approach.

I changed the settings a while back and it seems the updated karma values block anonymous bugs even though the documentation claims it should work properly.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Trac anti spam addon: lessons learned from PARPG
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:38:03 am »

Fair enough, the changes have been implemented.

Let me know if you get any false positives when filing tickets.