FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Win XP Dependency Issues  (Read 3366 times)

verdantphoenix

• View Profile
Win XP Dependency Issues
« on: August 04, 2010, 06:22:40 am »

Hello, I'm new to game development and to FIFE. :-)

I thought I did everything right for testing FIFE out on my machine, but Dependency Walker has a different thing to say about that when I run _fife.pyd through it:

MSVCR80.DLL
PYTHON26.DLL
DEVMGR.DLL
IESHIMS.DLL
WER.DLL

These are all dependent modules that the rio de hola demo (or, more worryingly,  _fife.pyd itself) apparently needs. The python one is my bad (I installed 2.7 instead of 2.6), but at least the last two are only available on Windows Vista (and presumably 7). My dev machine currently has Windows XP SP3 on it, and I'm loath to try and port it over to a newer Windows OS.

Subsequently to the above, I get this error when I run rio de hola:

Should I just be downloading these .DLL's and sticking them wherever they should go?

Any ideas on how to help a poor n00b?

Thanks!

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Win XP Dependency Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 01:32:51 pm »

FIFE should work without any problems on windows xp sp3 that is what i run at home.

What process did you use to build FIFE?

If you used visual studio to build FIFE did you follow these directions? http://wiki.fifengine.net/Building:Win32:VisualStudio

i am not familiar with the last 2 DLLs in that list, but the first one is the C common run-time  dll for visual studio 2005.

You should not have to download any DLLs to run the FIFE demos, the only thing you may need to download is the visual studio redistributable package and/or the platform sdk to get the required win32 dlls if you aren't using one of the visual studio professional versions.

Any other information you can provide us about this could be helpful in solving the problem.

verdantphoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:44:40 pm »

Ah. It was just the Python after all. I already had VS'05 SP1 installed and all that. I got the demos running nicely :)

Now for the hard part - figuring out the API. :P

Any official documentation on this, or should I just play with stuff until it works?

And if I want to ask a question about the pychan GUI should I ask it in this thread or open a new one?

Thanks!

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 03:22:53 am »

API docs can be found here, both for the C++ core API as well as the Python bindings:
http://fifedocs.boxbox.org

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 08:54:53 am »

Glad to hear you got the demos going.

Probably a new thread would be best for specific questions about pychan and other parts of FIFE.

You can also come to the IRC channel and ask the questions there for possibly a more real-time response. The demos should be a pretty good resource for learning the API. I would focus on the Shooter demo and RPG demo as those are more up to date and pretty clean. The rio de hola demo is a bit aged but is still useful.

Written documentation is a bit lacking currently as we just don't have sufficient resources to keep those up to date so I would suggest going to the code first or the automated documentation Barra pointed out in an early reply.