FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: FIFE legal issues - license switch and other possible options  (Read 26721 times)

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FIFE legal issues - license switch and other possible options
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2008, 10:16:51 am »

A little update concerning the LGPL license switch. The following people have agreed to the license switch by sending an agreement via email:
- Cheesesucker
- donbachi
- Jasoka
- Joeh
- jwt
- Mutex
- NikN
- Ottar
- Phoku
- Plcstpierre
- RogerWilco
- Shadowdancer
- shales
- Skybound
- Tesseract
- Tuxdev

I'll wait until the weekend and send out another mail to the developers who haven't replied to my mail yet.

niksha

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 10:47:47 am »

Can someone please clarify that LGPL jargon into few simple lines? :P

Seriously though, I am way too late to this discussion but I am on the same boat as quasius. I have been checking FIFE again and again for some time now (try years) but license has always been a pain. Now that's it's changed, I have some questions:

1) We can sell it (the game, without bundeling the FIFE app with the package) without releasing our 'own' work (code, art, sounds, etc.) to the public, right?

2) We will have to release any modification to FIFE itself to the public (I am more than ok with this one, the only thing I am worried about is releasing the custom code for the game itself).

That's pretty much it. I have always been impressed by the screenshot section for FIFE, the license always scared me away from the downloads section though..
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:49:32 am by niksha »

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 02:12:58 am »

Can someone please clarify that LGPL jargon into few simple lines? :P
Sure :-)

1) We can sell it (the game, without bundeling the FIFE app with the package) without releasing our 'own' work (code, art, sounds, etc.) to the public, right?
Yes and no. With the current GPL licensing you can publish "assets" (graphics, sounds, music, movies) under a separate license. However all code that you write needs to get published under GPL 2.0 at the moment. That means everyone can use your code under this license and could resell it as well as long as he does so under the GPL 2.0 though that's highly unlikely as nobody is allowed to resell your assets.

2) We will have to release any modification to FIFE itself to the public (I am more than ok with this one, the only thing I am worried about is releasing the custom code for the game itself).
ATM you need to publish all your code under GPL; that means C++ & Python code. With the planned LGPL license you still need to publish all changes that you applied to the files that ship with FIFE under LGPL. However you'll be allowed to:
1. Link your custom C++ code against libFIFE without needing to publish your custom code under LGPL.
2. Write own Python scripts that import FIFE python scripts without needing to publish your scripts under LGPL.

Both isn't possible with the current GPL license in place so these are two of the reasons why we plan to ship our next release under LGPL.

niksha

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2008, 06:05:31 am »

Ok, thanks for the reply. I can atleast now start using the app and wait for the next update as well :)

BenT

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2008, 08:40:19 pm »

Can I get clarification on the license switch please? Has it happened yet? If not, does it look like it will not occur. I am currently looking at using FIFE on a project for the upcoming OpenPandora handset and need to get things sorted out.

Thanks,
BenT

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2008, 11:21:57 am »

Hello Bent.

The license switch is still an ongoing procedure. I've just recently received another agreement mail but there are still 16 people who haven't sent their final agreement yet.

Not all of them have contributed code that is still left in trunk so here's a list of important people who haven't replied yet:
- Chris *
- Joshdan *
- Mortiz *
- Sleek *
- Arron
- Vovansim
- Vja *
- Zbyte64 *

The people with a * have agreed to the license change proposal in the past but didn't actually reply to the final license change mail yet. As they basically agreed to both proposals (LGPL or GPL + exception) in the past I don't intend to wait for their replies in case we could ship the release. So the only real remaining showstoppers are vovansim's & arron's code.

The code of both does currently get replaced with alternative implementations by other programmers. However we're quite short of resources so it might take some time until the new code can be found in SVN. Furthermore I'm currently taking a break from the project to sort out my university problems so I don't have much time on my hands to run after the people who haven't agreed yet.

The next release 2008.1 will definately be shipped under the LGPL 2.1 but we can't say when this release will be ready. Hopefully some time in the next 4 months but as we're short of resources I can't promise anything. In case you haven't read the article yet, here is a little summarization why FIFE is currently progressing rather slow:
http://mirror1.cvsdude.com/trac/fife/engine/wiki/2008/05/01/09.02
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 11:26:30 am by mvBarracuda »

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2008, 04:45:20 pm »

Another little update about the current status. The following developers recently agreed to the license switch proposal mail:
- Chris
- Joshdan
- Sleek

The only code from a developer who hasn't agreed in any way to the license change are the unit tests that have been written by vovansim. But there's is good news: vtchill does currently port nikn's unittest++ tests to linux so we could hopefully replace the old unit tests rather soon and release the next FIFE milestone under LGPL 2.1 :-)

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2008, 05:42:52 pm »

Yet another little update! Mortiz agreed to the license switch proposal as well and the end of the road is in sight :-)

Just got the new unittest++ unittests working with mingw today and as soon as we throw out / replace the old boost unittests, we could adjust the file headers and release FIFE under LGPL! I think replacing the unittests shouldn't take more than two weeks in case we find enough developers who could test and adjust the tests for the different supported platforms / compilers.

Just one question left: should we release a new FIFE version as soon as the switch happened or should we simply adjust the file headers in SVN and write a little news posting that FIFE is officially LGPL software now but not ship the 2008.1 release before the new rio de hola game is ready?

I propose to tag the last GPL revision in SVN so everyone could easily access the old GPLed code as well for whatever reasons there may be to do so. Feedback please.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 05:44:37 pm by mvBarracuda »

niksha

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008, 02:10:05 am »

I am all for releasing it the moment the switch is made as long as you guys are sure you aren't really rushing anything.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008, 06:26:19 am »

It's done! FIFE is officially released under LGPL 2.1 or newer new. File headers have been adjusted though there are some remaining issues related to the unittests but they didn't block the license switch itself:
http://mirror1.cvsdude.com/trac/fife/engine/changeset/2502

We'll consider putting together a little release in the next days that will simply feature a snapshot of the now LGPL'ed trunk. This will be no full-featured release (it won't contain a polished demo game) but it's meant for the users who want to get their hands on a LGPL version of FIFE as soon as possible. Stay tuned.
Pages: 1 2 [3]