FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Guichan Upgrade  (Read 9059 times)

phoku

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • IZ dev blog
Guichan Upgrade
« on: June 08, 2008, 08:13:49 am »

Hi Guys,

the guichan devs have released a new version (actually TWO)
of there library - Guichan 0.81.

We'll need to follow their development, but since broken
GUIs are allways a pain here's a peek preview how to
check the new and changed stuff.

The good news is, that PyChan didn't get any API
changes. That is all code should continue to work (or not work)
as it has before the upgrade.

The bad news is that some minor layouting issues will pop up.

In order to test this, do the following steps.

Have fun, phoku

EDIT: Fixed the attached patch to _not_ contain edits in the island_demos settings.py
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 11:27:46 am by phoku »

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Guichan Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 10:51:01 am »

Just tested phoku's patch on win32 and it works fine here with an updated compile SDK.

How to test the patch on win32:
1. Download phoku's patch.
2. Apply the patch to trunk (datasets branch won't work ATM) via TortoiseSVN or the tool of your choice.
3. Get the new (experimental) compile SDK: http://members.fifengine.net/bin/FIFE_2008.0-r4_win32_SDK.7z.
4. Delete the old SDK via delete_sdk.bat; extract the new SDK to trunk/build/win32.
5. Build FIFE with the compiler of your choice.

If everything works fine for the other win32 programmers as well, we could merge phoku's patch into trunk rather soon and release this experimental compile SDK as official 2008.0-r4 release.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 11:04:28 am by mvBarracuda »

phoku

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • IZ dev blog
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 09:19:34 am »

... bump

Did anyone test this yet?

.- phoku

chewie

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • zero-projekt.net
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 05:11:22 am »

I'll talk to our developers to do so today / this weekend.

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 11:07:22 am »

I tried the new guichan and patch.  The island_demo would crash in the Engine::Init code and throw a FIFE::SDLException.

I am running on Ubuntu 8.04 inside of a virtual machine (parallels) on Mac os X.

I traced the problem back to the settings.py file inside of the island_demo directory.  The exception occurs when the fullscreen is set to 1.  When it is set to 0 everything runs fine.

I am going to try this out on my windows box later this weekend.

phoku

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • IZ dev blog
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 11:29:12 am »

I have modified the patch to not contain my stupidly edited island_demo settings.py
That seemed to be the culprit of the problems.

Nevertheless the resulting crash is a bug in the video module  :(

-phoku

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 05:32:29 pm »

Could anyone look into it? Phoku's old patch worked fine here and I can't get a debugger working on my win32 systems ATM :-/

Would you have time to take a look m64 or any other volunteers? Besides this issue (that may not be caused by the patch at all), the new guichan version seems to work fine with FIFE. I plan to update the new compile SDK with unittest++ and release it in the next two weeks. So if we could switch to the new guichan version in this timespam I would bundle guichan 0.8.1 with it as well.

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 06:55:26 pm »

Since I could get it to happen on my linux VM I will try and debug the problem.  As I said in an earlier post I am going to try the fullscreen on my windows box also and see if I can get the same problem.  I will post back with any results or fixes.

Is there a bug/ticket for this issue?

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 06:57:19 pm »

Unfortunately not yet. When it comes to making bug reports, it's often that all devs hope that somebody else will do it and in the end nobody will do so :-/ So if you got some spare minutes on your hands, please file a ticket at trac.

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 09:24:16 pm »

I should have more time tomorrow night to look into this problem and post a ticket on trac.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 02:45:34 pm »

Applied the patch to trunk. Applied the patch to the datasets branch as well but it didn't successfully build. Build log;
g++ -o engine\swigwrappers\python\fife_wrap.o -c -Wall -O2 -DLOG_ENABLED -DHAVE_ZIP -DHAVE_OPENGL -Ibuild\win32\includes\mingw\libogg -Ibuild\win32\includes\mingw\openal -Ibuild\win32\includes\mingw\sdl_image -Ibuild\win32\includes\mingw\zlib -Ibuild\win32\includes\mingw\libguichan -Ibuild\win32\includes\mingw\boost_1_35_0 -Ibuild\win32\includes\mingw\libvorbis -Ibuild\win32\includes\mingw\libpng -Ibuild\win32\includes\mingw\sdl_ttf -Ibuild\win32\includes\mingw\sdl -Ibuild\win32\includes\mingw\python25 -Iengine\core -Iengine\swigwrappers engine\swigwrappers\python\fife_wrap.cxx
In file included from build/win32/includes/mingw/sdl/SDL_stdinc.h:28,
                 from build/win32/includes/mingw/sdl/SDL_main.h:26,
                 from build/win32/includes/mingw/sdl/SDL.h:28,
                 from engine/core/controller/engine.h:31,
                 from engine\swigwrappers\python\fife_wrap.cxx:5325:
build/win32/includes/mingw/sdl/SDL_config.h:131:1: warning: "HAVE_SNPRINTF" redefined
In file included from build/win32/includes/mingw/python25/Python.h:114,
                 from engine\swigwrappers\python\fife_wrap.cxx:140:
build/win32/includes/mingw/python25/pyerrors.h:320:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
engine\swigwrappers\python\fife_wrap.cxx: In function `PyObject* _wrap_CheckBox_isMarked(PyObject*, PyObject*)':
engine\swigwrappers\python\fife_wrap.cxx:29131: error: 'const class gcn::CheckBox' has no member named 'isMarked'
engine\swigwrappers\python\fife_wrap.cxx: In function `PyObject* _wrap_CheckBox_setMarked(PyObject*, PyObject*)':
engine\swigwrappers\python\fife_wrap.cxx:29167: error: 'class gcn::CheckBox' has no member named 'setMarked'
build/win32/includes/mingw/libguichan/guichan/widgets/button.hpp: In function `PyObject* _wrap_Button_isPressed(PyObject*, PyObject*)':
build/win32/includes/mingw/libguichan/guichan/widgets/button.hpp:180: error: `bool gcn::Button::isPressed() const' is protected
engine\swigwrappers\python\fife_wrap.cxx:29873: error: within this context
engine\swigwrappers\python\fife_wrap.cxx: In function `PyObject* _wrap_TwoButton_setAlignment(PyObject*, PyObject*)':
engine\swigwrappers\python\fife_wrap.cxx:30516: error: invalid conversion from `unsigned int' to `gcn::Graphics::Alignment'
engine\swigwrappers\python\fife_wrap.cxx:30516: error:   initializing argument 1 of `void gcn::Button::setAlignment(gcn::Graphics::Alignment)'
scons: building terminated because of errors.
scons: *** [engine\swigwrappers\python\fife_wrap.o] Error 1

jwt

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 10:32:56 am »

Sorry it took so long for me to weigh in on this. Anyway, apart from some minor permissions issues (fixed) everything looks good here. Thanks!

jwt

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 12:36:05 pm »

One major thing to note: the upgrade seems to have messed with the event consumption logic. For an example, try clicking the About button in rio_de_hola: the about box opens, but the character also goes to the clicked position. More seriously, the right click menu doesn't work at all (clicks go right though to the ground and never get registered by the gui).

I haven't really been a big contributor to the guichan/eventchannel/pychan toolchain, so I don't really know where to start tracking this down. Phoku, if you could have a look at this, I'd appreciate it.