FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Distributing a self-contained game  (Read 3545 times)

alvinru

• View Profile
Distributing a self-contained game
« on: June 11, 2010, 05:52:13 pm »

I am considering using FIFE for creating shareware games for Windows and Mac (and possibly Linux).

I'm wondering if it is possible to distribute a game made with FIFE as a self-contained package?

If so, what tools should be used for that: py2exe on Windows and py2app on the Mac?

Does anyone have first-hand experience?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 05:57:51 pm by alvinru »

Drakekin

• View Profile
Re: Distributing a self-contained game
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 01:51:03 pm »

Whilst I cannot speak for macs, for windows it's reasonably simple. Once you have a compiled engine, just use the installer of your choice to copy the contents of your [path-to-python]/lib/site-packages/fife to their [path-to-python]/lib/site-packages/fife and copy your game files to wherever your user wants to install it. I'm sure most installers can check to see if python is installed and run the openAL installer for the user. I've not yet had a chance to test this approach, however as soon as my musician gets back to me on if it worked, I'll let you know.

I'm still looking for a decent way to distribute a game in a discrete package on linux, it all depends on being able to package FIFE in such a way that it can be easily distributed.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:05:15 pm by Drakekin »
Expansion Developer/Artist/Writer

alvinru

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 01:47:02 am »

Thanks for the input, Drakekin.

I'm afraid this approach won't work well for me. Most Windows users don't have Python installed at all. Thus I'm looking for a method to distribute my games as self-sufficent packages (distributions) that have no external dependencies.

Normally scripts such as py2exe for Windows and py2app for Mac are used for this purpose.

I was wondering if they can be used for compiling FIFE based games as well.

Drakekin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 06:51:06 am »

Just had a look, and as long as you supplied the _fife.pyd file and anything it depended on, py2exe should work.
Expansion Developer/Artist/Writer

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 09:54:28 am »

Hi Alvinru,

I've used py2exe with FIFE on windows with great success!  I haven't tried py2app yet.  On linux it's a bit trickier.  I know the good people over at Unknown Horizons have some Linux packages that include FIFE (I believe).   I haven't looked at them myself but it's probably worth checking out.   

http://www.unknown-horizons.org/site/index.php?page=download

They also have an IRC channel (#unknown-horizons) on freenode.  I'm sure they would be willing to answer any questions they may have about packaging FIFE.

alvinru

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:22:16 pm »

Thanks a lot, prock!

That's very encouraging!

Not being able to create self-contained games at least on Windows was one of my greatest worries.

serkl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 02:46:35 pm »

Hi, i used py2exe and i have error:

what am i doing wrong?

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 02:51:11 pm »

I had the same problem for some reason... py2exe didn't copy all the required modules into the distributable (no idea why not).  What you have to do is manually copy fife_compat.pyc and a few others into the zip file that py2exe produces.    I'm not 100% sure of the process right now as I dont have a machine with FIFE on it in front of me at the moment.   Let me know if this helps...

prock

serkl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 03:13:46 pm »

Thank you, everything is working now =)