FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: What is FIFE exactly?  (Read 5060 times)

SharkD

• View Profile
What is FIFE exactly?
« on: February 24, 2010, 01:35:00 am »

In previous threads mvBarracuda has said, "FIFE is no game maker tool but rather a complex isometric 2d game framework", and, "FIFE is not even an RPG engine."

The word "framework" here is a bit ambiguous to me. I would like to see a statement of how FIFE rates when standing next to these other tools. What type of work would be required of me when compared to these other sorts of tools? What can FIFE do for me? How is FIFE different than an RPG maker? What is different about RPG engines?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:40:28 am by SharkD »

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: What is FIFE exactly?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 01:02:26 pm »

Hey SharkD,

Well first the aim of FIFE is to be a game engine focused on providing developers with a good API and toolset for 2D game creation. This includes isometric game layouts.

A game engine generally provides graphics rendering, editors (map, gui, animation, etc), virtual filesystem support, path finding and possibly ai, collision detection, physics simulation, audio support, effects (using things such as particle engines), game object and camera management (possibly through a scene graph), 2d/3d math

The difference between a game engine and something like rpg maker is a game engine still requires the developer to do a lot of coding and asset creation. This can provide more flexibility over something like rpg maker where you are really stuck within the sandbox it gives you. Lots of people make the incorrect assumption that a game engine will basically write their game for them, this is simply not true. A game engine provides nice abstractions to core components that are reusable between games so developers can focus on the mechanics and gameplay that make their game concept unique.

FIFE currently has support for graphics rendering, map editor, path finding, map loading/saving, 2d/3d math, game object and camera management, audio, and some virtual file system support.

Basically you are writing a game if you use FIFE and it is a lot of work. You are not working in a point and click sandbox of a game creator program. This has its pros and cons and you can weigh them yourself.

SharkD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:34:03 pm »

Thanks for the answer. I'm a little hesitant to take the plunge, as I don't really have time now to learn Python in detail, and because I am extremely wary of having to write my own AI. Also, the documentation and tutorials are rather sparse or out of date.

A tutorial equivalent to something like this might make me pull the trigger.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:41:33 pm by SharkD »

przemo_li

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 04:18:03 pm »

Python is not so hard to learn  ;)
Tell why have you found FIFE in first place. What do you want to do ?

SharkD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:43:29 pm »

Basically a sci-fi, Lego-themed squad combat game, like Jagged Alliance 2.

liam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 12:53:52 am »

im looking for a fallout type / mmorpg game
all the awesome stuff from fallout with a nice skills coincept on the side for fishing etc...
i love the way games like world of war craft / conquer online work so im putting them ideas into my game
but for the skills set idea im sticking to a runescape line since i think its very very effective.
also with weapons and anything u eqipt im looking for a complete keeping the same gear throughout the game
and just updating your own item without trading it with other people u keep and make ur own gear without looking for ( rare ) items
and u can add levels to your weapons and add gems to make them stronger. so you have to work to make your gear better the trading system will be materials only and not equipment based as it lacks effort in ways :D

rivon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 08:01:01 am »

You can't make a MMORPG... That isn't in power of a single man (or at least you will be making it for years and it still won't be complete). I advise you to make something offline first before even going online.