FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: help - FIFE on Vista  (Read 5724 times)

HollowCarnix

• View Profile
help - FIFE on Vista
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:58:54 am »

I'm faily inexperienced with this sort of thing and plan on making a turn-based-strategy game (much like tactics arena online) so if you can't fix my problem I'd appreciate links to any other more suitable builders.
My problem is simple - whenever I try to run a .py Python.exe stops responding before anything can load.
It's likely to be because I'm using vista because I get problems like this all the time. Please, any help would be appreciated.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: help - FIFE on Vista
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 11:39:07 am »

First thing you should test if all Python scripts are affected by the problem or if it's FIFE specific. In case all Python scripts suffer from the problem, your system seems to run a wrong Python version. Are you running Vista 32bit or Vista 64bit? Where did you download the Python interpreter from and which package did you choose?

HollowCarnix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:48:43 am »

By Python scripts I'm not sure what you meen but I'm running 32bit and I downloaded Python from:
http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePython/windows/2.5/ActivePython-2.5.1.1-win32-x86.msi
as suggested in the Help for begginers thread.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:50:36 am by HollowCarnix »

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 12:07:26 pm »

Oki, try the following: create a new file called hello.txt. Edit it with a text editor and add the following text to it:
Code: [Select]
print "Hello, World!"
Save the modified file and rename it to hello.py. After that open the command line (or whatever it's called on Win Vista) and cd into the folder with hello.py.

Enter: Python hello.py

It should print Hello, World! to the console, if not, something went wrong. In case the hello world scripts works for you, please provide an actual error report from python by logging the messages python spits out when you try to run one of the FIFE clients.

HollowCarnix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 12:17:18 pm »

Opening hello.py gave an interesting result. It showed the window open up but then immediately the window closed down, without any message of any sort. Not even an error sound.
As for the FIFE clients I'm not getting a specific message from Python, the dos window opens, a few quick things show up in it then another window (presumably the one the client should be in) opens up blank and then I get the good old Vista error "python.exe has stopped working, windows is checking for a solution to the problem". Of course windows can't find a solution, it never can.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 12:52:23 pm »

You'll need to run hello.py from the command line (or whatever it's called in Windows Vista), not from the Explorer by clicking on it!

It might be easier and faster to resolve the problem if you join our IRC channel. Just click on this link and you can talk to the FIFE developers live without any need to install an IRC client:
http://embed.mibbit.com/?server=irc.quakenet.org&channel=%23fife

HollowCarnix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 01:17:13 pm »

Well I've tried the chat thing but I can't connect (apperently permission is denied).
But running hello.py in command promt worked, I say hello.py it says hello, world! so that works.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 02:47:04 pm »

Your best bet in this case is to build FIFE from source on your system:
http://wiki.fifengine.net/Building:Win32:SCons