FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Another "is FIFE for me" post  (Read 2723 times)

ranyardm

• View Profile
Another "is FIFE for me" post
« on: August 12, 2009, 05:27:19 pm »

Well, I'm a long-time developer, with an application-writer's background, but I have done some games (commissioned, admittedly).

I loved the old "Master of Magic" game, and I still occassionally fire up dosbox for playing it, but would like to bring it into a more modern engine.  It only had a 2d world map, which was fine, but the map was auto-generated, I don't think converting the world map will make the game any more or less playable.  It's combat was isometric though, so it may be possible at least to start with to convert some of it's old data files.  It was also turn-based, and single-player, which is where a modern engine would be good - it could be turned into a multi-player network or hotseat game.

Its trees (spells, units, races) were well thought-out and I don't see me changing them much if at all.  I can live with purely strategic combat but would prefer to give the choice of control or entirely AI.

I'm off to svn and see what inspiration I get (especially as I've not worked in a whitespace-sensitive language before), but please do feel free to jump in with ideas, comments or even entirely different directions that I might not have thought of.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Another "is FIFE for me" post
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 05:53:43 pm »

It really depends on how much you'll get used to Python in the end. FIFE is surely not such an easy to use and well-maintained package as commercial engines like RPGMaker. That said: it still seems like one of the few good options to create an isometric RPG, at least if you're not planning to go down the Flash route.

If you got more questions, shoot. I'm not the best person to ask but I'm sure the others, especially the ones who're actively involved in either the development of FIFE or in the development of a FIFE-based game will spot the thread and provide more feedback.