FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: [FIFEdit Plugin] layertool  (Read 2386 times)

chewie

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • zero-projekt.net
[FIFEdit Plugin] layertool
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:49:07 am »

The layertool plugin already is integrated in FIFedit for some time now, but due to the latest activity about reviving the editor development, I decided to start this thread here.

So, here are the features of the plugin:

• list all layers of the current loaded map
  • hide / show specific layers
  • select layers by clicking on the layer name

HereĀ“s a small demo screencapture of the plugin, tested on a zero map: FIFedit layertool plugin

Future plans for the plugin are:
  • replace the builtin layertool (lacks some workflow IMO)
  • add layer deletion
  • add possibility to add new layers

Please let me know how / if this plugin works for you - and how you think about replacing the builtin layertool with this plugin. Also, if you have additional ideas for the functionality - just post them here  :)

CheeseSucker

• Developer
  • FIFE programmer
    • View Profile
Re: [FIFEdit Plugin] layertool
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 05:11:13 pm »

First of all: Nice plugin  :)

The layertool works quite well, but it should give some visual hint as to what layer is the active one. The only reason I know that you can select a layer that way, is because I read it in this thread. :) Photoshop and Gimp does this by giving the selected layer a different background color.

Currently layertool displays layers in the reverse order compared to Photoshop, Gimp, and just about any other program that supports layers. Layertool displays the background layer at the top, while other programs puts it in the bottom.

Now, for the most serious point: Even if a layer is hidden, you can still paint and delete tiles and objects from it. This could be confusing for users and might (in the worst case scenario) destroy their work.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:14:03 pm by CheeseSucker »

chewie

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • zero-projekt.net
Re: [FIFEdit Plugin] layertool
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:08:08 pm »

Thanks for the feedback CheeseSucker :)

I added a visual hint about the current selection, but we have to fix one issue with pychan before it can look nice (as in: color the row).

Now the editor also throws an exception as soon as you
a) hide the layer
b) try to perform any other action on the map; you have to select a new layer

I'm not happy with a) yet, but I'll think about a better solution.

About the order the layers are displayed: That sounds reasonable - I'll also change that once the other issues are fixed, it's no big deal at all. (just want to avoid more mini commits ^^)

cheers,
chewie