FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Map Size Potential  (Read 3012 times)

Bureaucromancer

• View Profile
Map Size Potential
« on: March 02, 2009, 08:55:49 pm »

I haven't really looked at the technical side of the engine yet, but right now its looking pretty close to what I need for something I have in mind; before I get started could anyone answer me a couple questions?

First, and this is the biggie, what kind of map size could the engine likely handle?  I'm guessing theres no hard limit, but how would it likely hold up to very large numbers of tiles at the moment?

I've also got some questions about sprite handling, but thinking about it now probably better just to figure it out (basically just is there anything that would make high res sprites majorly problematic, and how much hacking would be needed to get sprites to change with zoom level)...

Anyway, really only the map size is critical for me, and any help would be appreciated.

phoku

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • IZ dev blog
Re: Map Size Potential
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:59:21 am »

At the moment FIFE has severe performance problems with large Maps, that's not really an issue of the public design, but an internal issue and we want to address it. But currently it's not suited for huge maps.

Correct me if I am wrong :-)

You might want to contribute to that part and end up as a happy user, or look elsewhere, or wait some time. For the time being you can check out UH, who have some issues with large maps, and see for yourself.

Out of curiosity, what kind of game are you planning?

-phoku

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 05:29:17 am »

Just for clarification: UH = Unknown Horizons, formely known as OpenAnno.

http://unknown-horizons.org/site/

chewie

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • zero-projekt.net
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 07:02:21 am »

Let me add something:

The possible mapsize is tight to amount of instances you use on your map. Note: tiles are instances, too.

So one might say, the amount of tiles is the limitating factor (as tiles normally are placed on every single cell your map has). Thereas - the bigger your tiles are, the bigger your maps can be before you hit any serious performance issues.

So far I successfully tested maps which had the size of 15x15 screens (resolution was 1280x1024). My example map contained a large forrest, a medium village and some open space and it took my char a while to walk from one location to another ...  :)

Bureaucromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 11:25:12 am »

Thanks for the replies, and sorry to drop the ball on getting back to you.  I'll take a look at the engine sometime, but it does sound like its not what I need right now, shame, but there are other possibilities.  Basically I'm working up the backend for a strategy/citybuilder kind of thing but a national rather than municipal scale; sadly there really aren't many engine that seem to be candidates for displaying this (and even fewer non commerical ones).

Actually, I've been considering dropping it altogether and just throwing together some kind of ASCII display since I'm much more interested in the sim than the graphics and don't have much help...