FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Project announcement: PARPG  (Read 2398 times)

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Project announcement: PARPG
« on: February 07, 2009, 05:15:24 pm »

PARPG is the working title of an isometric open source roleplaying game based on a post-apocalyptic setting. The project is currently still in its early planning stages. It will be a hommage to the golden age of RPGs of the late 90's and early postmillenium years. Main source of inspiration will be the Fallout series but also other classics of the genre, e.g. Arcanum and Planescape: Torment.

You've seen such announcements prolly over a dozen times before and the vast majority of them might have turned out as vapourware in the long run. There is no guarantee that PARPG might not suffer from the same tragic issues however I'm trying to explain why this project has a better chance of succeeding than some others that you've seen in the past.

My main source of confidence is my prior experience in the field of open source development. I was one of the founders of the open source game engine project FIFE and worked on the project over the course of three full years from 2005-2008. While working on FIFE I learnt a fair share about project management in general; but also about public relations, developer recruitment, maintenance of development-related infrastructure (SVN, Trac, Wiki) and software engineering in particular. This development background will hopefully help the PARPG project to succeed in the long run.

I know that it's impossible to remove doubts about the future development of the project at this moment. Some might still know me from my involvement in FIFE and I can hopefully convince the ones who don't know me yet with solid progress over the course of the next months.

More information about the project can be found here:
http://mirror1.cvsdude.com/trac/fife/engine/wiki/2009/02/08/00.07

November

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Project announcement: PARPG
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 04:59:07 am »

I'm already working on such a project, so I won't be of any help to you, but I'm just glad your retirement from FIFE doesn't mean you totally abandoned your game related aspirations :)