FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fife Coder meeting with the OpenAnno and Zero Procjet Coders  (Read 10049 times)

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Fife Coder meeting with the OpenAnno and Zero Procjet Coders
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 06:48:35 am »

3D Rendering
I'd like to point out, that this would be a new engine, say FIFE3D, instead of an improved FIFE. Needless to say, I am opposed to that idea :-)
I'm with Phoku here. There are quite a lot of existing 3d rendering engines out there which all could be used for isometric purposes as well. The rather unique selling point of FIFE is that it's actually not a real 3d engine but something in between that gives you the chance to create a game without going for full 3d complexity.

Why would somebody choose FIFE3d if there are other 3d rendering engines that are far more advanced, e.g. Ogre, Irrlicht or Panda3d (that features Python bindings)?

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 01:35:41 pm »

I'm with you guys about being opposed to it, but more because of phoku's reasoning that it would be a completely different engine. I don't agree with the fact that simply because there are other 3d engines it doesn't make sense; you could say that about almost anything (including a 2D engine). I merely brought up the idea just to generate discussion and with the current state of the engine I don't think it would be viable to change it.

My personal opinion is that moving to a 3D backend makes a lot of things easier to deal with; although it adds some complication in the asset pipline. It also allows for a lot of nice visual effects pretty easily. I personally think most of the added complexity of a 3D engine is mainly up front on the learning curve and a lot of 2D ideas map well to the 3D domain.

I look forward to the meeting and some good feedback from the OA and Zero guys. I am hoping a good list of improvements/enhancements come out of the meeting and we can get moving on active FIFE development again.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 05:16:06 am »

LinuxDonald might not be around at Saturday due real life duties. Do you think you could compile a short draft with points that should be discussed at the meeting LD?

LinuxDonald

• View Profile
    • My Blog (German)
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 05:42:48 am »

I will write some tomorrow. But Sleek, Vtchill and phoku have some written here in the forum that are important.
Maybe i will create an wiki page for this meeting.

LinuxDonald

• View Profile
    • My Blog (German)
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 05:44:33 pm »

On the meeting must be talked over this what Sleek, Vtchill and phoku sayed here an this one:

- Future of the Editor: what we can add to help the map editing on the other projects and what can it make easier to make maps for newbies?

- Future of the Editor 2: What about an editor for fife as an rpg maker in that you don't need an know-how as rpg maker 200/2003/xp?

- Engine: Will we make an demo game for fife or an techdemo or do we only an engine? With only engine i mean implement this what projects need that use our engine?

- Engine: Add support for 3D models in-game?

- Engine: Future of the SDL/OGL render what must be done that the two render works better?

- Engine: What must be done to make the sound engine better?

- Compile System: What about an new compiling system as cmake or an other one because many people have problems with scons. I think the best would be the "standard" ./configure make && make install system

- Website: What you think we must change or must be made better on our new site?

- Team: What about regular meetings?

- Team: Please give me an short status report of your time that you can spend for fife

- Fife Clients: Please tell use what we can make better for you? (OpenAnno and Zero-Projekt)

LinuxDonald

• View Profile
    • My Blog (German)
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 07:49:04 am »

I have created an wiki page for meetings and for the next meeting too
http://wiki.fifengine.net/Saturday%2C_28th_of_February_2009_at_20_GMT

There you can add things on that must be talked on the next meeting

wenlin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 06:12:58 pm »

Hi,

I am not a developer yet, but interested in help on the project. Can I attend the meeting?

w.

LinuxDonald

• View Profile
    • My Blog (German)
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 06:23:01 pm »

When you have time you can join the meeting you are welcome :)
Pages: 1 [2]