FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to start? Problems...  (Read 13533 times)

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: How to start? Problems...
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 11:18:59 am »

Well I tryied to install FIFE 3 times on my laptop. Everytime I done everything like was in install instructionns. But still, every aplication crashes when I try to see some graphic. Every time python.exe problem. I worked in python 2 years ego (it was connected with my study) but I never met that kind critical error before. Anyway, I will keep looking here to see some new versions of FIFE.

Ok, I can try maybe to instal it again. If someone had no problem with current version of FIFE, just can tell me how he/she installed it. I mean step by step with links from where he/she dowloaded all files.
I will try to use those links, and do instalation again. Maybe I still missed something during installation.

And one more thing. Is it normal when I want to install OPEN AL using oalinst.exe, it take me so short time. First I see license, and after click OK, I have immediately dialog window with Instalation Complete?

Ok I will detail the exact steps I use when dl'ing and installing FIFE. I am assuming you are using windows since you mentioned ActiveState python. If you are not using Windows please let me know.

1. Download Python 2.5 from ActiveState website
http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePython/windows/2.5/ActivePython-2.5.2.2-win32-x86.msi

2. checkout latest FIFE from subversion using TortoiseSVN, if you don't have TortoiseSVN download it first
trunk url: http://svn9.cvsdude.com/fife/engine/trunk

3. download latest FIFE SDK (includes all dependencies for FIFE), and unzip it using 7zip to the location <path-to-fife>/Trunk/build/win32
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/fife/FIFE_2008.0-r4_win32_SDK.7z

4. run script <path-to-fife>/Trunk/build/win32/update_project_files.bat

5. open <path-to-fife>/Trunk/build/win32/build_environments/<visual-studio-version>/fife_engine.sln and build the solution and make sure no errors occurred

6. depending on which IDE you used to build fife, run the corresponding update_dlls script in the location
<path-to-fife>/Trunk/build/win32/update_dlls_<ide-used>.bat
eg. if you uses msvc 2005 you would run <path-to-fife>/Trunk/build/win32/update_dlls_msvc2005.bat

7. Everything should be built for running a FIFE game.
now run the script <path-to-fife>/Trunk/clients/rio_de_hola/run.py to make sure everything runs properly.

Post back if you have any troubles or questions.

MackaN

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 06:46:02 am »

So. I tried again. And I have the same python.exe error.
I use mingw.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:18:25 am by MackaN »

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 10:50:48 am »

So. I tried again. And I have the same python.exe error.
I use mingw.

I have only built using mingw once and it was a while ago so I will give it another try next week to see if I can reproduce your error. I will post back once I have tried either with my steps to install or to let you know I saw the same error.

What version of windows are you using?  I am using windows XP service pack 2.

MackaN

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 01:14:51 pm »

I am using Windows SP 2 too.

Look atthis screen. I can open Pychan-Demo. But when I click any button what will change the screen (change example). It just... well... crashes to windows...

chewie

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • zero-projekt.net
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 01:46:10 pm »

mmh.. maybe the new event handlers are to blame for this one...?

MackaN

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 05:20:16 pm »

I dont care. I just want to open anything in FIFE engine. But its look like I have to write my own engine... But I hate programming graphics. There are much more intresting things in programming than graphic.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 05:22:59 pm by MackaN »

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 05:06:48 pm »

I am using Windows SP 2 too.

Look atthis screen. I can open Pychan-Demo. But when I click any button what will change the screen (change example). It just... well... crashes to windows...

This sounds like the same problem I documented about a week ago and have yet to find a solution for it. I was running in debug mode so it gave me a little bit more information than simply a python crash. It only happens when FIFE handles keyboard input. Here is the link to my post about the problem.

http://forums.fifengine.net/index.php?topic=220.0

MackaN

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 10:21:53 am »

Sounds like the same kind of problem. Anyway. I have an other quastion. Is it possible to find somwhere logical documentation of FIFE. I mean, at least some UML diagram of classes or something about structure?

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 08:39:45 am »

MackaN

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 09:09:15 am »

Wow. Is there this link on http://www.fifengine.net/ ? Actually I coundnt find this on this page. But yes. I was looking something like this. Thanks a lot.

Even that I still can't open any FIFE aplication, I must say, that from this forum, every information you can get very fast. Maybe I will look in struture of FIFE and I will start writte something without python. Only C++.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:19:39 am by MackaN »

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 09:31:42 am »

All this kind of information can be found at the wiki:
http://wiki.fifengine.net/
Pages: 1 [2]