FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to start? Problems...  (Read 11414 times)

MackaN

• View Profile
How to start? Problems...
« on: November 05, 2008, 06:09:24 am »

Do FIFE have good tutorials? I study software engeenering (I know C++, Java, Python and OCaml. I have good knowlage of XML and UML) and I was thinking to make a simple 2d isometric game. I always wrote my programs from beginnig to the end alone, some times using some usefull lib. Now to make things more simple, I woudlike to writte something based on FIFE engine. I tried to read wiki, but I coundn't find interesting information about FIFE. So I have some quastions:
1. Is FIFE just on stage C++ lib, what can I use in my programs to render graphic? Or something more? I mean there are some tools what help me create the game?
2. If there are tools, are there in this dowload pack on this site?
3. Is there toturial how to using FIFE (and propobly the simple tools) make Hello World program and simple interface or explanations of basic structure of FIFE.
4. I red that FIFE use scripts in Python and XML structure? How it work?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:19:10 pm by MackaN »

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Good Tutorials?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 08:08:03 am »

Best way to get started is to grab the latest code from the SVN repository and build the engine and the example clients from source. For win32 there is a compile SDK that radically eases building FIFE so you shouldn't run into any hassles.

Concerning documentation in general check out this wiki article:
http://wiki.fifengine.net/Getting_started

There are links to detailed documentation of the C++ and Python code of FIFE.

FIFE is not just a 2d rendering library but meant to be a complete isometric game development framework. Check out the example clients as well as FIFE-based games like OpenAnno or Zero-Projekt to get an idea what kind of games could be created with FIFE.

The example clients in SVN should be sufficent to get started writing your own FIFE-based game. At least if you got a basic understanding of Python. The C++ <> Python bindings are created via SWIG, a bindings generator tool.

MackaN

• View Profile
Python.exe Error
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 12:02:24 pm »

So I have FIFE now. I installed all thing like had to in tutorials... but... what now? How to write simple HELLO WORLD aplication in FIFE engine?

PS: When I try to run run.py... I have some error in Python.exe and aplication just crashes
I have instaled ActivePython 2.5, but it seems to not work :(

After dubleclick on run.py
I have PSYCO ACCELERATION NOT USED and then
I have some Controller logs
and it crashes on: Engine intialized when there is Controller log:Creating main screen

"python.exe" has encountered a problem and needs to close... :(

Error signature:
AppName: python.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: Unkown  ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset:00000000

Test_fife when I put 29 - it means all tests - crashes too...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:02:38 pm by MackaN »

ZDearborn

• View Profile
Re: How to start? Problems...
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 08:09:55 pm »

Mine crashes after "Controller log:Creating main screen" as well.

MackaN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 03:11:37 am »

I also have to say that I have the last stable realase and I done everything like they wanted in torurials. Actually I noticed one thing... Is it normal, that when I want to install openAL its happening so quick? When I start oalinst.exe, I have first some text about license, and then when I click OK I have almost in the same moment window what say that Installation Compete....

Anyway, I still cant resolve problem how make this engine work...  I opened pychan_demo.py and it works until I click in some option... It means, I guess, that it crashes when it have to print some graphic on the screen

Can someone help me to start the engine anyway?

On the screens on wiki everything look nice. So I woud like to play a bit longer with this engine than 3 secounds before it crashes...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 03:46:27 am by MackaN »

shevegen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 02:48:08 pm »

"that it crashes when it have to print some graphic on the screen"

Sounds like a bug

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 12:27:50 pm »

All,

Can you guys run it in the debugger and post the output?

debugging instructions here: http://wiki.fifengine.net/Debugging

agrippa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 04:40:15 pm »

"python.exe" has encountered a problem and needs to close...

I had the same problem on windoze when application crashed to desktop after engine initialised. Fixed by downloading the latest pnglib and zlib from sourceforge and overwriting those are in FIFE package.

And yes i have to say FIFE really lacks documentation ((
I'm dumb, those you have on your website is not enough for me   ;D... it looks just like a list of classes and their methods with no descriptions. However cpp docs are bit better, but still...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 04:44:19 pm by agrippa »

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 12:47:58 am »

"python.exe" has encountered a problem and needs to close...

I had the same problem on windoze when application crashed to desktop after engine initialised. Fixed by downloading the latest pnglib and zlib from sourceforge and overwriting those are in FIFE package.
Thanks for the pointer. I'll give it a try here and release an updated compile SDK over the weekend in case that resolves the problems.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 10:31:58 am »

Could you please upload all files that you changed to get FIFE working somewhere? I've tried to replace the DLLs with the versions you mentioned today but unfortunately it does still segfault on my win32 notebook :-/

agrippa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 02:28:37 pm »

http://rapidshare.com/files/164762271/libpng12-0.dll.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/164762659/zlib1.dll.html

sorry for uploading it to rapidshare separated, but i'm in a hurry right now

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 02:31:13 am »

Thanks I'll give it a test tomorrow and edit this message as soon as I know if it fixed my win32 segfault issues.

MackaN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 07:31:34 am »

Generaly, I decided to wait for more workable version of FIFE. I sitll have the same poroblem. I just can't print any graphic. All the time the same problem with Python.exe. I changed this dll's from agrippa. But no positive results.

For today, I'm sorry but I am done with current version of FIFE. I will see the progress with this engine  maybe next year.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 07:43:20 am by MackaN »

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 05:30:37 pm »

Generaly, I decided to wait for more workable version of FIFE. I sitll have the same poroblem. I just can't print any graphic. All the time the same problem with Python.exe. I changed this dll's from agrippa. But no positive results.

For today, I'm sorry but I am done with current version of FIFE. I will see the progress with this engine  maybe next year.

I'm sorry to hear that you still had problems using FIFE. The error is new to me and I have installed/used FIFE on 3 or 4 different computers with different operating systems and hardware configurations and it has always "just worked" out of the box when i followed the install directions. Please do keep an eye on the progress and give it another try in the future.

MackaN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 08:15:48 am »

Well I tryied to install FIFE 3 times on my laptop. Everytime I done everything like was in install instructionns. But still, every aplication crashes when I try to see some graphic. Every time python.exe problem. I worked in python 2 years ego (it was connected with my study) but I never met that kind critical error before. Anyway, I will keep looking here to see some new versions of FIFE.

Ok, I can try maybe to instal it again. If someone had no problem with current version of FIFE, just can tell me how he/she installed it. I mean step by step with links from where he/she dowloaded all files.
I will try to use those links, and do instalation again. Maybe I still missed something during installation.

And one more thing. Is it normal when I want to install OPEN AL using oalinst.exe, it take me so short time. First I see license, and after click OK, I have immediately dialog window with Instalation Complete?
Pages: [1] 2