FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Updating the Network Demo  (Read 3906 times)

m64

• Developer
    • View Profile
Updating the Network Demo
« on: September 02, 2008, 07:09:28 pm »

Hey there. I've recently tried to complete the Network Demo introductory tutorials. I've noticed that they are quite outdated - some example code won't run with current FIFE, there are also some obvious errors. I've decided to try and update those 3 documents. I will be updating them to be compatible with current svn trunk - this is probably the way most serious developers get the FIFE at the moment anyway.

m64

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Updating the Network Demo
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 02:40:36 pm »

I've finished the first iteration of the update. The biggest changes have been made to the second part. As the camera api has changed quite a lot apparently I've removed the part about setting the camera by hand and assumed that the cameras will be specified in the map file. Instead I've added a section about implementing a simple scroll system.

chewie

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • zero-projekt.net
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 01:50:14 am »

Great work m64  :D

m64

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 04:09:04 am »

I think it would be cool to have another tutorials: one about character movement and other about map editor. I will try to write them when I have some time, but if someone with more experience feels an urge to help I would greatly appreciate it.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 07:47:41 am »

I've finished the first iteration of the update. The biggest changes have been made to the second part. As the camera api has changed quite a lot apparently I've removed the part about setting the camera by hand and assumed that the cameras will be specified in the map file. Instead I've added a section about implementing a simple scroll system.
Your work in this field is really appreciated. There was a lot of interest in the field of creating FIFE-based games with network support so the community surely appreciated your efforts as I do.

I think it would be cool to have another tutorials: one about character movement and other about map editor. I will try to write them when I have some time, but if someone with more experience feels an urge to help I would greatly appreciate it.
Sounds good to me. ATM the majority of the former active members are either taking a break or can only invest very few time into FIFE; so that means you'll prolly end up writing the tutorials on your own. On the other hand nobody gets paid for the work on FIFE so simply take your time :-) We're not under any kind of pressure.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:49:44 am by mvBarracuda »

m64

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 03:29:33 pm »

About the networking part - I understand the main idea here is to wait for OpenAnno (or other game) to finish their networking code and then draw upon their experiences?

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 11:11:04 am »

networking is unique and will probably be very game specific for the most part. As part of the engine we could probably implement the underlying low level serialization mechanisms for data passing, but the type of data and frequency at which the data is supposed to be sent would be game specific. It is a big topic and should probably be discussed by all interested developers.

I am interested in networking support and I think it would be nice to provide. Waiting for a game (like OpenAnno) to implement their networking would be beneficial in that we would see the needs of a typical game and would have a better idea of what really needs to be provided by the engine.