FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Hotseat or turnbased gameplay  (Read 3270 times)

Warloch

• View Profile
Hotseat or turnbased gameplay
« on: July 30, 2008, 11:04:44 am »

Why not add support for hotseat or turnbased multiplayer support for fife?
I Just remember few titles such as Fallout tactics and Laser Squad which had a hotseat mode.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hotseat or turnbased gameplay
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 12:39:33 pm »

Implementing hot-seat mode should be done in client side as it has not too much in common with usual networking functionality AFAIK. Rio de hola doesn't seem suited for hot seat mode so my personal proposal is to simply implement it in your client if the need arises. I'm no programmer but it doesn't sound too complicated.

Multiplayer support works (technically) different than hot-seat mode and we're currently looking into different options how it could be added to FIFE. As it's hard to develope an engine feature without testing it in a real game, we plan to help adding network support to the FIFE-based game OpenAnno as they've planned to add network support anyway:
http://www.openanno.org/devblog/

After we're satisfied with the way networking works for OpenAnno, we'll try to refactor the code and move parts of it that would be useful for every FIFE-based game with networking support back into FIFE (engine or extensions). But the issue still remains: generic networking support is hard so we expect that it will take quite some time and code will be juggled between OpenAnno & FIFE until we're happy with the result.