FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Wild Dreaming for Engine Building  (Read 3839 times)

EonDigital

• View Profile
Wild Dreaming for Engine Building
« on: April 29, 2008, 12:29:48 am »

I've been looking for a long time for an engine appropriate for the development of a game I've been creating.

This is a huge step in a direction I hadn't considered up until I saw some of the screen captures.

There are a few features I'm trying to find, and they are not very easy to come by.  I figure it might be a worthwhile mention here with the thought that you might consider them in the future.

1. Linguistics support for unicode, preferably with IME support.  I don't know of any libraries to do this with, especially cross platform.  A thought.

2. Particulate Effects with basic physics support.  I've played around with a number of physics engines, and I'm most fond of Ageia right now.  Newton seems to be pretty solid as well.

3. Networking support.  Cross platform networking gets ridiculous quickly.  There is a large market for MMOs right now, and this seems like a strong enough engine for some pretty unusual content.

Hope I've thrown something interesting out there.
-Eon

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Dreaming for Engine Building
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 02:21:18 am »

1. Linguistics support for unicode, preferably with IME support.  I don't know of any libraries to do this with, especially cross platform.  A thought.
Unicode isn't supported yet AFAIK. Guichan (our GUI library) might not be able to work with unicode yet though this feature might get added later.

2. Particulate Effects with basic physics support.  I've played around with a number of physics engines, and I'm most fond of Ageia right now.  Newton seems to be pretty solid as well.
No developer looked into this field yet AFAIK. If you got experience in this field feel free to check out the code from SVN and play around with it :-)

3. Networking support.  Cross platform networking gets ridiculous quickly.  There is a large market for MMOs right now, and this seems like a strong enough engine for some pretty unusual content.
There is very experimental networking support in SVN but the maintainer of this branch is currently inactive and it's unlikely that he picks up his work again soon. While networking support is a nice feature we're currently short of resources so the active developers will prolly focus on other even more important tasks.

We're happy to accept any patches of course if anyone starts to play around with adding network support or wants to continue working on the experimental code that can be found in SVN.

Hope I've thrown something interesting out there.
-Eon
Surely :-)

Greetings,
Martin

EonDigital

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 08:30:00 pm »

Regarding the first thought (UNICODE), I was scanning through the Guichan page and noticed this comment in the faq:

Q: I can't get keyboard input to work with SDL?

A: You must call SDL_EnableUNICODE(1); in your initialization code.

From this, I suspect there might be UNICODE support in guichan.  Will look into it some more.  Thought someone might be interested.

Thanks for the response to my suggestions.  I will take a look at some of the source.  This seems like a project with a huge amount of potential.  ;D

-Eon

skybound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 12:57:09 pm »

Last I checked guichan didn't support unicode; I assume the mentioned init-call makes SDL accept unicode-keycodes (as most people probably have their desktops setup this way).

Anyway if you check (for example) guichan-0.7.1/src/sdl/sdlinput.cpp you'll see that it accepts 8bit keysyms
and a few special cases (tab, shift, ctrl, ...).

There seems to be a patch that might at one time be merged into guichan: http://code.google.com/p/guichan/issues/detail?id=15

m64

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »

I don't want to start a flamewar, but I'm working with Ageia on daily, or at least weekly basis and I'd call it anything but solid. Sure it has some nice debugging features, like Soft Bodies or Remote Visual Debugger - I wish ODE would have one - but it also has some terrible stability issues, especially when it comes to joint chains.

As a word of advice, I'd suggest double checking that Ageia can handle the kinds of simulations you want to have in your game before committing to that engine - it might save you a lot of headaches. Especially considering that Havok is about to be available for non-commercial use.