FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Can i make a game?  (Read 4274 times)

hesh

• View Profile
Can i make a game?
« on: April 09, 2008, 01:28:32 am »

Hello, i just stumbled across this engine and have a few questions but first ima introduce myself.

My names jake and i'm 16, i have a real interest in the designing aspects of games mostly mmorpg's but i don't have any coding experience.

Well i want to know how probable is it to make a game with the FIFE engine without any coding knowledge? And how easy is the coding and/or scripting used in FIFE to learn?

From looking around you website this engine looks very interesting. And i really hope i get into this as when i go to college i plan on taking courses in c++, and hopefully become a game programmer.

Well thanks for taking the time to read my post.

~Hesh

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can i make a game?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 06:48:10 am »

Hello, i just stumbled across this engine and have a few questions but first ima introduce myself.
Hello hesh, welcome on the FIFE forums.

Well i want to know how probable is it to make a game with the FIFE engine without any coding knowledge? And how easy is the coding and/or scripting used in FIFE to learn?
It's not possible to create a full featured game with FIFE without having anyone on your team with programming knowledge. You could add new maps, animations, sounds and graphics but as soon as you want to script something  sophisticated there is no way around learning the basics of Python programming.

Learning the basics of Python is not that hard. Here are two good starting points:
How to think like a python programmer: http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkPP.pdf
Dive into Python: http://www.diveintopython.org/

That doesn't mean that you need to be the programmer on the team. You could always try to recruit a programmer for your game _IF_ you have worked out a very detailed and convincing design document for it. In case you just have a rough game idea you should further refine and flesh it out to convince programmers to work with you together. When it comes to forming teams the main question is always: "what do you bring to the table?".

On the other side: you're young and as you're just 16 you could learn programming with Python in a reasonable timespan.

My names jake and i'm 16, i have a real interest in the designing aspects of games mostly mmorpg's but i don't have any coding experience.
A warning concerning MMORPGs: this kind of genre is very special because MMORPGs are complicated large scale software development projects. If you haven't shipped a game project before I would advise to NOT start with a MMORPG.

From looking around you website this engine looks very interesting. And i really hope i get into this as when i go to college i plan on taking courses in c++, and hopefully become a game programmer.
My personal suggestion is to start learning programming with Python first. C++ is full of obscure undefined behaviour in some places so starting with a sane language like Python will help you to learn programming instead of working around some of C++'s quirks.

Well thanks for taking the time to read my post.

~Hesh
You're welcome.

NikN

• View Profile
Re: Can i make a game?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 08:57:58 am »

Hi Hesh,
     mvBarracuda brings up some great points, and I think he's definetly right. If you have no programming experience, learning Python is a really decent place to start. Its easier than it looks, but also more powerful.

As for making an MMORPG, i've actually studied MMORPGs and how their organized a bit (I'm a programmer by trade and Computer Scientist by major...), and I can say that they are extremely complicated on the surface level, and just get more complicated there on in.

The good news is, if you want to learn how some real-life MMOs work and are made, Pythong programming is a great place to start. EvE Online (which I highly recommend to anyone readhing this :P ) is fully scripted in Python, much like our engine is.

As for designing a game itself, documentation, design, drive and passion...along with a staff that has some technical background :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 01:33:54 am by NikN »