FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FIFE suitable to modernize Jagged Alliance 2 - 1.13 open source?  (Read 19481 times)

Sleek

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: FIFE suitable to modernize Jagged Alliance 2 - 1.13 open source?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 05:39:03 am »

The engine is in LGPL. You may use it for anything, as long as you give back to us where you've modified the engine parts.

With FIFE, the quality of the graphics actually depends on the artist. We cannot take JA2 jaggy bitmaps ( from what I remember playing the game for 20 mins and quickly uninstalling it after that :P ) and make it prettier than what it is. Try have a look at zero-projekt demo and Key of Naand ( KoN ) , which has some nice artworks.

The question is what is the rendering engine capable of ? Basically all graphic objects related to the game world must be drawn 'attached' to a tile. You may specify x,y,z offsets to the object, and it should automatically draw in the correct order. We have SDL and OpenGL, but both uses almost the same codebase : ol' 2D rendering with single texture binding at one time. No texture atlases, no VBO. There is no lighting support : you will have to bake the light in during pre-render, or add some code that manipulates the bitmap at runtime.

We don't support 3d models ( yet! ). There is no sure support for very big maps. If you have many active lively objects, they will still move around ( this is no problem with planescape:torment. It could be a none issue ). They don't get rendered though, so we already optimized there. Since JA is a fully turn-based game, there is no worry about fps because the screen is updated little at a time. Dirty rect optimization will improve this further. There is no official support to use large images in the engine.

Certainly the OpenGL aspects of FIFE could be improved. It's just that we are waiting for an expert while we read and study about it. Hell I just googled what is texture atlas  :-[.

Regarding gameplay and scripting, there is almost no limit to what you can do. Crouching, running etc are just character states. You give input, the engine changes the character state, it draws the animation/image you specified for that state.

Height map is not supported. I don't know what you mean by multiple height maps.. could be the feature to create archs.. Anyway.. height map is possible and you could make the objects bigger or smaller according to the height using scripting. We don't have a code of such example though.

There is a coming support for in-game video in one of the SVN branches.

Audio. We have good audio support afaik.

The pathfinding isn't really behaving satisfyingly, although I think this is easy-moderate to hack into.

We don't have a trigger system to be confident about yet.

You will need to convert JA2 media to familiar formats, or make your own, or write your own decoder.

Basically, if you choose to work with FIFE now, you will need a lot of help from the devs and patience to see your wanted features grow.. unless you have your own devs who know how to hack FIFE. Come back in a year or three.. we could possibly have all features you need for JA2.

My 2 cents ;)

pssst... look at Torment:Planescape for large map & images rendering with a lot of objects. I don't think it's impossible with FIFE but we will have to tweak & experiment with several things first.

Lt.Havoc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 02:01:30 pm »

I bump this before it falls into obscurity or something.

Well, I think its still worth a try. In the time the 1.13 devs work on the mod and you guys updtae your engine, the updates could be incoprated into the work, a make over will take time anway so I do not see that much of a problem.

So, did any 1.13 devs contated you guys yet? Guess I have to raise the thread about the graphic improvment in the Bears Pit forums as well.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 12:26:00 pm »

So, did any 1.13 devs contated you guys yet? Guess I have to raise the thread about the graphic improvment in the Bears Pit forums as well.
Sorry for the late answer but university keeps me quite busy ATM.

No ja 1.13 devs contacted us directly AFAIK. Development of FIFE is currently quite slow as key developers faced serious real life / work / university problems. I'm afraid that we don't have the resources to help you with testing FIFE to see how it would work together with the ja 1.13 code. If somebody ever gives this a try, please report back nevertheless as our situation hopefully improves again later.

Lt.Havoc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 11:09:07 am »

I see. I cant really say much more because I´m not a 1.13 dev, but from the outlook, the whole thing wont happen anway. Its so typical, everyone is opossing your ideas. I mean, how streamlined can it possible get using FIFE? I´m really dissapointed, because no one even is conisdering doing, they even didnt looked into it at all.
Pages: 1 [2]