FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: RPG with systems like in Square's games... it even possible?  (Read 3364 times)

Xamusel_Uzumaki

• Bearer of the Keyblades of Destruction
    • View Profile
RPG with systems like in Square's games... it even possible?
« on: April 30, 2008, 08:16:31 pm »

I'm trying to develop a game with systems similar to the games Kingdom Hearts 2 (battle system), Final Fantasy 9 (menu system), Final Fantasy 10-2 (dress-sphere system) and (I think?) Breath of Fire (somewhere in the series (dragon forming system) I'm sure).  I chose FIFE because it was an RPG engine, but I don't know the limits, so will someone tell me?

Thank you for your time.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: RPG with systems like in Square's games... it even possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:29:59 am »

As you got access to the full source code of FIFE and you're free to modify it, the only real limit there is, are your skills and the amount of time you would like to invest into your game.

I don't know enough about these games to comment on anything in particular but we can surely clear up blurry points in case you come up with specific questions. Starting with the Python code sounds like a good idea as the majority of the features that you would like to add could hopefully be written in Python. Are you familiar with the Python programming language? How would you rate your C++ skills?

Xamusel_Uzumaki

• Bearer of the Keyblades of Destruction
    • View Profile
Re: RPG with systems like in Square's games... it even possible?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 04:55:14 pm »

I'm familiar with both Python and C++ (though I'm learning C++ at the moment).

C++ knowledge:  .98 out of 10 (if that really works).

Python knowledge:  3.46 out of 10 (see ^).

I really hope that I can up my knowledge for the right thing to work... know what I mean?