FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Is FIFE a royalty free option for commercial indie games?  (Read 3466 times)

Asfasa

• View Profile
Is FIFE a royalty free option for commercial indie games?
« on: April 04, 2008, 02:02:00 am »

I was wondering if you could clarify what your license allows for and doesn't allow for. I'm new to the engine but it seems like something I'd like to try creating a commercial game on, and I'm not clear on whether or not this is possible under your current license. Reading the documentation I get a sense that this would be possible with certain stipulations that I don't fully understand.

In a nutshell, is FIFE an engine for indie developers looking to create royalty free commercial games? I'm an idiot when it comes to parsing legal jargon, so maybe this clarification will help others with the same dilemma.

Thanks!

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Is FIFE a royalty free option for commercial indie games?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 11:09:28 am »

Here he go :-)

We're currently in the process of switching to a different license so I'll try to summarize the most important points about the current and the future license.

Current license: GPL
- Fees: You can sell a FIFE-based game and you don't need to pay us any royalty fees.
- Closed source libraries: you can't use any closed source libraries in combination with FIFE at the moment as all of your libraries need to be GPL-compatible.
- Code licensing: you'll need to publish all of your C++ & Python code under GPL. That means everyone can take your code and redistribute it without having to pay you any fee. They could even sell your code but it's quite unlikely that somebody would pay for it.
- Content licensing: you can choose a license of your choice for your content (graphics, maps, audio, video, texts). That means that nobody can copy / sell your content if you don't give them a specific permission to do so.

Future license: LGPL
- Fees: You can sell a FIFE-based game and you don't need to pay us any royalty fees.
- Closed source libraries: you can link against closed source libraries.
- Code licensing: if you modify the FIFE core (C++) you'll need to publish these changes under the LGPL. You can write custom C++ code and simply link against the FIFE library and you won't need to publish your custom C++ code in this case. The same goes for python code: if you modify our python code you'll need to publish these modifications under LGPL. If you write custom python code and simply access any of the FIFE python functionality by importing it, you can publish your python code under whatever license you like.
- Content licensing: you can choose a license of your choice for your content (graphics, maps, audio, video, texts). That means that nobody can copy / sell your content if you don't give them a specific permission to do so.

For more license-related details check the license discussion thread at the forums:
http://forums.fifengine.net/index.php?topic=36.0

If you got more questions just shoot and we'll answer them. I'm a bit short of time ATM so I just summarized the most important points.