FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Is FIFE an RPG-only engine?  (Read 5350 times)

Jabberwoky

• View Profile
Is FIFE an RPG-only engine?
« on: December 21, 2007, 07:29:12 am »

Good day FIFE team and forum members. I'd like to know: does FIFEngine is suitable only for 2D RPG games? Thing isg that i am looking something which could be
good for a creating a 2D RTS (Commang and Conquer style). Please, take my appologieses for this probably stupig question, i am not a good programmer yet and cant see all underwater stones by simple reading descriptions and termins in FIFE Guide.

Thanks for you time. :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 12:57:07 pm by mvBarracuda »

anxs

• View Profile
Re: Does FIFE is a RPG olny engine?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 06:07:15 am »

Hello Jabberwoky

Please have a look at this page: http://wiki.fifengine.net/index.php?title=Mission_statement

Jabberwoky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 02:08:23 am »

Oh  I am very appreciated. thank you... ;D how could i miss this page?..  ::)

I have another question. Are there some good "tutorials" somewhere? i mean maybe there are some small OS projects which could boost my studying FIFEengine. (i learnd better on exaples rather reading different manuals)

anxs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 04:59:27 am »

hmm, there are some projects in development planning to use the FIFE engine. Look here: http://wiki.fifengine.net/index.php?title=FIFE-based_games_in_development
Unfortunately I don't know what the current status of these projects is and in how far there's already existing code. But why don't you have a look at our techdemo? Or did you already? ;)

shevegen

• View Profile
Re: Is FIFE an RPG-only engine?
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 08:58:49 am »

I thought the techdemo is still work in progress?

Hmm reading the forum here and the webpage confuses me a bit hehe

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Is FIFE an RPG-only engine?
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 09:28:52 am »

I thought the techdemo is still work in progress?

Hmm reading the forum here and the webpage confuses me a bit hehe
The release today will clear up the situation. The old techdemo that we were working on together with the Zero-Projekt team was canceled. Future FIFE releases will ship with an island_demo example game; you might already know this concept from the 2007.1 release.

Concerning the Zero-Projekt cooperation, here is a quote from our README file that will ship with the release:
For the 2008.0 release we decided to pick up the island_demo concept again. Right: again. We already used this concept for the 2007.1 release but we put it on ice as we worked together with the Zero-Projekt developers on a different example game for the 2007.2 release. The cooperation didn't work out as planned for either side and so both teams stick to their own projects again now.

After the cooperation has ended we considered all possible options and finally decided to flesh out the old island_demo concept and base our future example game upon it. Although we were able to finish the initial planning work for the new island_demo game some days ago, there is almost none of the new planned content in place yet. On the other side the engine itself and the editor tool that ships with it now made _huge_ steps forward since the last release about 4 months ago. Therefore we decided to release the current status as stable release although it offers not many new aspects on the content side and the content that is in place is very likely to change with the 2008.1 release.