FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Graphics Format  (Read 4739 times)

wild_qwerty

• View Profile
Graphics Format
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:50:20 pm »

Hi Guys,

I know I've been nagging MV about this for the last couple of years at NMA but I haven't really looked at FIFE for a while and I'm guessing a lot has changed in that time.

Anyway, I'm busy creating some new critter sprites for the Mutants Rising mod and I figure that its pretty easy to render them for FIFE while I'm at it. Could you please let me know what is required for this?

File Format: *.PNG

Naming convention? Is there are certain way you would like the files named? Do you still use the suffix for each type of action?

Do you want all critters saved as separate files or combined into one large sprite sheet?

If I remember correctly you would prefer 8 orientations rather than FO's 6

Sleek

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics Format
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 03:23:04 am »

Hi wild_qwerty and welcome to our forum,

If you do have the original copy in 3d format, it would be very nice to have it in that form, in an open format. 2D sprites are less flexible for variations of rotation & tilt settings.

In case you are creating 2d sprites directly, 6 & 8 orientation set should be fine. Here is a set of angles I think would be useful to have :

0, 45, 60, 90, 120, 135, 180, 225, 240, 270, 300, 315

Or to separate them into 6 & 8 directions :

Hex : 0, 60, 120, 180, 240, 300 ( For hex tiles )

Oct : 0, 45, 90, 135, 180, 225, 270, 315 ( For square tiles )

It's still easier to have a 3d model  ;)

wild_qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 03:36:34 am »

So do you mean that you just want the file used to create the 3d file? Isnt FIFE sprite based though?

I've got no problems giving you the models, its just that I'm not actaully that good at all this 3d stuff and you guys will see how bad a job I do, lucky Fallout sprites are small enough that you cant tell  ;)

But on a seriouis point, I can give you the files, but I use Anim8or to make them (www.anim8or.com) which is not really much use for real 3d artists who use blender and the like (I will learn how to use blender one day). Sure you can export the files out to *.obj format but that doesnt contian the information of the rigging and animations does it?

wild_qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 08:13:17 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but you never answered my question in regards to the naming convention of the files. Do I just need to download one of those demo builds and take a look at the art files in there?

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 07:23:00 am »

Sorry for the double post, but you never answered my question in regards to the naming convention of the files. Do I just need to download one of those demo builds and take a look at the art files in there?
Hello Wild_Qwerty :-)

As you can write your own gameplay code in Python, you can basically choose whatever name scheme you like. There will be however a new standard name scheme for the island demo game we're working on. This new scheme can be found in the datasets branch that will become our new trunk in the long run. Take a look here (bee "critter" example):
http://mirror1.cvsdude.com/trac/fife/engine/browser/branches/active/datasets/clients/rio_de_hola/objects/agents/bee

The numbers 000, 045, 090, 135, 180, ... is the rotation degree (polar coordinate system). Hope that helped to answer your question.

wild_qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 02:15:44 am »

Thats cool thanks, but on a downside I'll have to render more angles for FIFE since FO uses something like a 36.93 degree angle for NW,NE,SE,SW rather than a 45 degree angle :(

Oh well such is life  :o

jasoka

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 08:18:31 am »

I think you can use your existing angles. E.g. if your single direction is in angle of 36.93 degrees, round it to nearest integer (37). Then if you want to have six directions for your characters, just add 60 degrees (360 / 6) to each of your following angles. This results the following angles for you:

That should prolly do the trick.

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 10:14:48 am »

I guess proper angle values depend on the shape of the hex grid that you're using. I'm no math expert but I guess it should be possible to calculate these values with a simple python script. Maybe this functionality could be added to geometry twister later?