FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Steamfolk Tales engine and environment showcase  (Read 4648 times)

Pheidian

• View Profile
Steamfolk Tales engine and environment showcase
« on: June 15, 2014, 05:41:59 am »

Hi all!

We've decided to put up a little video showing some environment and character art as well as the overal look of the game at the moment. We've been working on this from march this year with full speed (on our spare time), but I've made some graphics art basically starting from January on the game. We have a small indie team currently working on the team: one coder, one graphics artist, 2 sound guys and a writer.

Video is showing preliminary functionality and engine - mainly the graphics side of it. A lot of things are to be improved and added yet. We have working dialogue system, character sheet and inventory at this point, though they are not showed in this video. Combat uses the current functionin RPG formulas, so it is quite accurate as well. Tune up and additional tweaking needed though.

I recorded this with FRAPS while playing, sorry about the bit lossy quality at some points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juBFYBhZ0jI&feature=youtu.be

helios

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Steamfolk Tales engine and environment showcase
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 06:43:40 am »

Hey Pheidian,
that looks already really great :)

You've done a lot in the last three months, keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to the next video.

Pheidian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 02:13:49 pm »

Thanks!

I believe the development will eventually slow down a bit, now that we're starting to build the actual storyline, creating the real NPC's in the game, and make the game playable. Realistically we should be able to have playable demo of the first chapter of the game in the following 3-5 months, but we'll see how the things continue developing. I know I've already got a loads of areas to model and render that writer has already written as well as NPC's to go with those areas.

What our goal is, is to create a quite linear, story driven RPG with classic elements and some of our own ideas, with roughly 15-20 hours of gameplay in it. The game is still around 1 and half to two years from completing, that is what I've originally planned it to take to create all the environments for this kind of game (along with characters and other graphics) - I think that's our slowest point anyway, but there's lot of coding and writing to do as well, so we're pretty much advancing the same pace at the moment.

We'll keep you posted :)

Sejten

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 07:18:54 am »

This looks great. Keep up the good work!

Pheidian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 03:10:02 pm »

Thanks!

We're working pretty hard to tackle the beginning of the game and have some solid areas with free movement. There's lot of NPC's and places already written, varying from small florist shops into bigger wilderness areas.

Here's a screenshot of the detail (amongst other stuff) I worked on today - it's nice to add detail over some previously done areas after you keep visiting them and seeing what could be improved - I just hope I've got the time to do with all areas...

ChrisOelmueller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 04:03:35 am »

I like your stuff a lot!

Are you writing in python or C++?

Niektory

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 06:17:02 am »

Python.

AKIRA_SAN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 07:42:14 am »

Looks cool.

Pheidian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 02:58:20 pm »

Hi ya all!

Decided to put up one more image to show something different from the game that I just finished. Took around 6 hours to model and texture, characters are there just laid out as a size scale reference to get the idea of the ships size (as well as give some idea of sizes of characters, there's are humans (our 3 heroes), heavy worker automaton (robot) with a hammer, and a dwarf. It's still without any backdrop at this stage - since one of the scenes we'll be using this she'll be flying, so gotta think of something neat around it...

http://steamfolktales.com/concepts/Airship_Amelia01.jpg

mvBarracuda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 03:25:35 pm »

That looks absolutely stunning :-) Keep up the great work and please keep us updated as well.

I'm a sucker for Arcanum and starving to play a new Steampunk game.

Pheidian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 04:01:12 pm »

Thanks! What we're aiming is, is sort of Arcanum without magic but more balance between melee weapons and firearms. So It'll be more the steampunk and not the "fantasy" aspect. Loads of stuff to do, and at some point we'll move our main updates on our website, but we'll keep you posted here as well. The project is not still officially announced - that's why some previews just in the excellent engine's forums. Let's see how much we can get the actual game done within the next few months, don't want to start shouting out loud too soon... :)

Pheidian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 12:23:38 pm »

Since Helios sent me a message asking the development status of our project, I'll let you guys know here as well where we are at the moment.

We're working now on the background stuff (the important ones) mainly in the code side of the game, adding features, fixing old ones and trying to get the basic functionality with different skills and action intact before going into making a whole bunch of new maps and areas. One of the big things to develope and sort out is the line of sight and the map design / level editing regarding that. So we'll try to fix the first prologue chapter with all functionality before jumping into making too much content - just to wake up doing them all over again after some functionalities have been designed properly.

So we're up and running, but going through a bit more time consuming and "not directly visible" phase in our development.

To show something new in the content side, here's some environment prop modelling and rendering for a test - coz you gotta have trains in a steampunk world as well. :)
The environment around it is just a placeholder, so nothing finished there, just to see how it fits the general style and colours of the world around it.

http://steamfolktales.com/concepts/Steamtrain01.jpg