FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Hi from france  (Read 1372 times)

skeud

• View Profile
Hi from france
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:51:09 am »

Hi i was looking for a tile engine for a while and i just discover FIFE, that sound amazing and exactly what i needed.
I'm a developer since 5 years and on my spare time i develop a little game based on mining, crafting and trading.

I've already developed the server part and a command line client, so next step is the graphical client :).

I first wanted to do it in 3D but 2D Iso seems better to me :).
So i know FIFE doesn't integrate yet a network part, but that is not the prupose i need, i just want to know if:
1) Is FIFE thread Safe? (1thread -> FIFE, 1thread-> network which change map and character ...)
2) could i use FIFE as a renderer only or not?
3) is it possible to overload event in FIFE? ie: getting event with SFML and pass it to FIFE, so i can handle the event loop myself.
4) Do you have any example written in C++? not in python ( yes i only deveop in c++, that's my favorite)

I think i will get a lot of question, so i will try to ask everything at a time ;).

PS: sorry for the mistake i still doesn't know to write a good english, if something is not understandable, feel free to warn me ;).

helios

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from france
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 06:02:26 am »

Hey skeud,
I can't answer every question but try my best.

1. Probably not, I know that some parts are thread safe, maybe one of the UH devs can say more.
2. No, you have to provide some basics like objects and maps. But game logic, pathfinding and so on can implemented on client side.
3. Theoretically yes but you would have to write the binding. FIFE used SDL.
4. Sure here https://github.com/fifengine/cpp-tutorials

skeud

• View Profile
Re: Hi from france
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 07:27:45 am »

Thanks i just look this tutorial and i'm pretty sure that FIFE is what i wanted to do for my game, so i will use it, it doesn't seem too complex to understand, i will keep you up about my progress on my game.