FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: How to build/install FIFE on Windows 7?  (Read 2406 times)

fifer

• View Profile
How to build/install FIFE on Windows 7?
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:37:17 am »

I tried to install FIFE, but I had error, so then I tried bulid with Scope, then in Code::Blocks, but always is the same problem. When I try to run Rio de Hola or Map Editor on IDLE I get error:
Code: [Select]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\fife\extensions\fife_settings.py", line 458, in get
    if self._readSettingsCompleted[module] is not True:
KeyError: 'FIFE'
Shooter and Pychan demo works good. I found this: http://fife.trac.cvsdude.com/engine/ticket/715, but I don't know how to reset settings.

1cyborg

• View Profile
Re: How to build/install FIFE on Windows 7?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 03:20:17 pm »

I had a similar issue with this. It seems that the settings file it is looking for is located in the directory you are trying to run the demo from, not the settings file in the directory the run.py file is. I had good luck with changing the working directory in the command prompt to the directory the demo was in (using the cd command).

I think the demos sometimes (or some of them) try to create the settings file if they can't find it. That seems nice, but when I was trying to run the demos from the start menu, they didn't have write access in the directory they were in and so failed until I ran them with Administrator privileges. After running them as Administrator once, they created the settings files and I could launch them normally. Same with the map editor.

Not sure if that would work for you, but it sounded similar to my frustrating problem.

fifer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 05:58:40 am »

Thank you, but it doesn't help me. I'm trying to run files from directory where FIFE is installed. As I see, interpreter is using settings file from Python library: "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\fife\extensions\fife_settings.py", it's good or bad?

I made a test from 'test_fife.py' and it passed all Core tests but in SWIG tests I get error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\Programy\fife_0.3.5\test_fife.py", line 251, in <module>
    main()
  File "D:\Programy\fife_0.3.5\test_fife.py", line 245, in main
    run(options.automatic, args)
  File "D:\Programy\fife_0.3.5\test_fife.py", line 219, in run
    fn(params)
  File "D:\Programy\fife_0.3.5\test_fife.py", line 119, in run_all
    swig_errors, swig_failures = run_test_modules(tests['swig'])
  File "D:\Programy\fife_0.3.5\test_fife.py", line 83, in run_test_modules
    imported = get_dynamic_imports(modules)
  File "D:\Programy\fife_0.3.5\test_fife.py", line 76, in get_dynamic_imports
    m = __import__(module)
  File "D:\Programy\fife_0.3.5\tests\swig_tests\audio_tests.py", line 26, in <module>
    import time, fifelog
ImportError: No module named fifelog

Beliar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 04:05:56 am »

I think the tests may not work atm.

Anyway, you have to run the demo from the location where the main script file (run.py) is located, since thats where the dist-settings.xml is located. You may have to delete an already created settings.xml for the application in the fife folder in your user directory ("%appdata%/fife").
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:09:41 am by Beliar »

fifer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 07:52:38 am »

Thank you Beliar, it works! :) I deleted settings.xml files from "/appdata/roaming/fife/" as you said.