FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: audio implementation  (Read 4750 times)

welchcompositions

• View Profile
audio implementation
« on: October 23, 2007, 03:14:10 pm »

I am the music composer for KON a game using the FIFE engine. I was wondering what sort of audio implementation ability the engine has and the audio programmer can handle. I was told to post here. We are working on our techdemo and I am curious how complex my score can be.

Jim

jasoka

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: audio implementation
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 03:44:06 pm »

Hopefully I understood your question right.

In principle your score can be of any complexity, since it is recommended to use .ogg format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg). So just compose the track and then encode it.

welchcompositions

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 03:59:42 pm »

thank you for your response but thats not what I was meaning. I ment if I give you two pieces can you make one stop and the other start after the playters walks "over" a certain place. Making sure the next track doesnt start until a down beat? THis is an audio programming question. I assumed we werent using midi.

Jim

jasoka

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 04:40:01 pm »

Hmm.. not sure what you mean by downbeat. It certainly will be on our roadmaps to trigger sounds on different events (both start and stop). The current audio backend probably has some bugs, like cutting short clips and the triggering functionality is not so obvious. Anxs & prock are working on improved audio backend, let's see how that will proceed.

From content creation perspective, don't let the engine limit you at this point  ;)

welchcompositions

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 05:01:13 pm »

I'll plan to compose with fades between tracks just to be safe. Thanks

Jim

anxs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 07:10:23 am »

With the new audio module it shouldn't be a big thing to handle triggering of sounds using the event manager.
The Engine will not support stopping a soundclip right before or after a down-beat - that's too complicated. ;) (Instead it will "stall" the soundclip when stop() is called)

In future releases of the audio module it will be possible to apply effects to the soundclips. (such like fade-in/out) But before we get as far as that you're well advised composing with fades.

jasoka

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 07:53:32 am »

In future releases of the audio module it will be possible to apply effects to the soundclips. (such like fade-in/out) But before we get as far as that you're well advised composing with fades.

I guess fade in and fade out can be implemented even earlier by scripts; you can change the volume in loop with delay.