FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: Performance Worries  (Read 1728 times)

Jim

• View Profile
Performance Worries
« on: June 17, 2013, 09:08:22 am »

I've been playing around with the Engine a bit, and I have to say I like it very much. The only thing that's keeping me from experimenting further is the performance issue which has already been raised many times. All the demos, including the 1st python tutorial, which is just a blank screen, eat up my CPU like there's no tomorrow.

So I was wondering, are you guys close to fixing this? I saw mentioned elsewhere (I think it was in the old PARPG readme) that you were hard at work on the performance problems, but that was already a long time ago. Or is it already fixed and am I just doing something wrong?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:12:37 am by Jim »

Niektory

• View Profile
Re: Performance Worries
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 01:26:43 pm »

Try adding the following to the settings.xml file in the FIFE section (adjust the FrameLimit if needed):
Code: [Select]
<Setting name="FrameLimitEnabled" type="bool"> True </Setting>
<Setting name="FrameLimit" type="int"> 60 </Setting>
Does it help?

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:50:14 pm »

Thanks! That helped a lot (the python tutorial went down from the insane 40-50% CPU to 5-10% and the shooter demo from the same to around 20%). I didn't find this solution in any of the readme's; maybe it should be added?

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 07:29:32 am »

You're right, those settings are not documented.  They should be put here:  https://github.com/fifengine/fifengine/wiki/Engine-settings

I'll take a look at it later today.