FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: How to launch FIFE on Ubuntu Linux?  (Read 3477 times)

TurtleyWurtley

• View Profile
How to launch FIFE on Ubuntu Linux?
« on: April 21, 2013, 08:57:48 pm »

I feel stupid for asking this... but how do I actually use FIFE? I installed the actual program using "sudo apt-get install python-fife", and looked on the wiki and installed all the developer tools. But when I search for programs, there is no FIFE. Is that not how the program works? I'm really lost and could really use some help with this.

EDIT: I am sorry I selected the wrong forum by accident. Can this be moved to help and troubleshooting? Once again, sorry.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:23:21 pm by TurtleyWurtley »

ChrisOelmueller

• View Profile
Re: How to launch FIFE on Ubuntu Linux?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 06:16:01 am »

Heya TurtleyWurtley!

FIFE is a library to build games on top of, so the only "programs" in that sense you will find are demos shipped with FIFE and tools such as the editor. If you installed `python-fife`, that means you have the python bindings available now. So for instance you could, in any python environment, type `import fife` and use FIFE there.

I'm not sure about the exact layout of the debianoid packages currently, but for more hints about all of this, maybe try to locate `rio de hola` (one of the demos) or check out the python tutorials at https://github.com/fifengine/python-tutorials.

flutschfinger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 01:56:09 pm »

The demos aren't included in the python-fife package http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/amd64/python-fife/filelist you need to download them by yourself, so you have to checkout the python tutorials, as Chris suggested.

TurtleyWurtley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 04:41:30 pm »

Ah, thank you both. Actually, my laptop stopped working this morning so it's not even a problem now. However that information will definitely be useful in the future. Right now I am using my Windows PC and the map editor seems to be working fine.

And I will definitely check out the python tutorial before doing anything else.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 04:44:46 pm by TurtleyWurtley »